Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How do you stop stress from having a negative affect on your relationship?

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
stress-o-meter.jpg?resize=1000%2C640

Hey everyone!

Stress can come from many different places in life, and even if the stress doesn’t stem from something our partner is doing, and even if it seems a minor daily hassle, it can sometimes impact our relationship.

How do you stop stress at work or school from having a negative affect on your relationship?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

- Aife
Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Great topic, I think for me it's quite easy as I live with my partner so am quite able to separate work and home life. I stew and overthink and stress over things on my half hour commute back home, but usually can then leave stress in the car :wave:

I have the attitude that my home life is more important than work life and have to remind myself of that (and my partner) if either of us start stressing at home!
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    If I'm worked up about something I take care of myself and give myself a chance to calm down before replying to any messages. I wish I felt more comfortable talking about my negative emotions in relationships, but I've just never felt that close to the people I've dated.
  • RayofhopeRayofhope Posts: 152 Helping Hand
    The stress of work and school can defiantly have a negative impact on your relationships so i think you have got to make sure that if you do feel that it might be having a bad impact that you recognise this so that you are able to do something.

Normally for me i find that its important to give myself some space this might be to go for a walk or do something for myself such as watch my fav TV show.
    Life doesn’t require we be the best, only that we try our best
  • Candlestick56Candlestick56 Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    Hi Aife,

For me, my best technique for this is writing in my diary. I work as a carer so it can be really emotional and the sifts I work are long hours. If I leave work and haven't got even one message from my partner, I sometimes feel irrationally angry with him! The best way to stop myself from lashing out and saying something unreasonable is to write my thoughts down somewhere else, listen to some of my favourite music, and ask him if we can see each other another time if I'm feeling too stressed out.

Just as @TheAprilFool says, you have to give yourself time and stop yourself from saying anything in the heat of the moment that you might later regret!

-Lizzie