Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Advice /Sex laws

Lola25Lola25 Posts: 1 Just got here
I carried out a sex act inside my car in the evening with my partner on a dark (odd car passing but very few and dark) lane. A car pulled up directly behind us with its headlights left on, we froze and ducked with embarrassment hoping it was dark enough not to be seen and ducked around for our clothing...the car randomly flashed it's headlights which concerned us that it could see what we'd been upto. It stayed put for around 10 minutes then drove off. I keep playing over worst case scenario...the driver of the vehicle taking the registration/recording us and reporting to authorities? In this case what would be the outcome, me being the registered keeper of the vehicle?

Comments

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @Lola25, I'm not 100% sure what the laws are about sex in a car but in my opinion if the police didn't arrive right then and there, it would be very difficult for anyone to report what you were doing (especially if you stopped when you saw the other car)! Try not to worry too much and ruin the memory :)! Hope that helps a little!

- Lucy :rainbow:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Candlestick56Candlestick56 Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    Hi @Lola25[/USER], in answer to your question- the law defines any sexual acts committed in a public environment as an offence, given that they are deemed to cause "outrage public decency contrary to common law" or are "likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to others" (see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29205198), which is why your example is hard to assess. Technically a public lane, even within your own property (the car) counts as a public environment, but since it was a quiet road with barely any cars/pedestrians, I would say it's unlikely to be considered as "outraging public decency". If someone was going to report it, they would have done so already so it looks like you'll be fine. As [USER="99408"]Lucy307 said, I wouldn't worry about it. Whoever it was in the car that flashed you were probably just curious / giving a polite warning :)
  • FranFran Posts: 118 The Mix Convert
    Hey @Lola25,
    I agree with Lucy and Candlestick about that. It is possible that it has been just someone curious or someone who wanted to scare you for "fun". If this persone had reported you someone would have probably got there or contacted you soon after. So, I wouldn't worry, even though I understand your initial concern, but some time has passed and I think you can be fine right now :wave:

- Fran
  • Tee ATee A Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hey LoLa25!

​There are no explicit laws which ban sexual acts in public. However, if caught it is considered a sexual offense. So hypothetically, yes you would have been arrested.

​I do not think you need to worry about the driver who stopped behind you. If it were the police for example, the would have stepped out of the vehicle and confronted you and your partner. Maybe use this as lesson to learn from. Try to be even more secretive if you want to do this again.

Try not to dwell on this too much.

-Tee A:wave: