Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it harder to make the most of university life in a long distance relationship?

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
long-distance-relationship-advice-620x349.jpg

Hey everyone,

Going to uni for the first time can be exciting as you're entering a new chapter in your life. However, if you're in a long distance relationship and your partner lives miles apart, it can be difficult.

Is it harder to make the most of university life if you're in a long distance relationship?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

- Aife
Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It depends on the couple. If younger, then they may not survive long distance, though again all depends on how deep the relationship is and how committed they are. I know of a couple in their late 20's early 30's who divide their long distance relationship via Skype, phone calls and monthly visits depending on whose turn it is to take a 4 hour flight. Brilliantly, so far they passed 12 months' long distance last month, but are seeing each other in a week's time to spend Christmas and New Year between their families. She's at uni, he's a computer programmer so come 2018, may be able to work remotely, so they end up living together.

It's been difficult for both. I think it was worse for her as she tends to overthink, but has good friends at uni to help her through times of doubt.
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Having experience of this myself, I think it was definitely harder for me to make the most of university life, as it's a commitment that not many other people have or really even understood... But that's not to say it ruins university life, it's just a balancing act I think. The worst part was that I used to get FOMO quite a lot when I went away at weekends etc to see my partner, that's something I had to work on to make sure I was still enjoying my limited time with him!!
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • PositiveAuraPositiveAura Posts: 150 Helping Hand
    Hey everyone.

I agree with @Princesa[/USER] and [USER="99408"]Lucy307 - I think it is definitely a balancing act. So long as you have that, it can be easy. But it can be hard to figure this balance out!

​It takes a lot of communication, honesty and trust - like every long distance relationship. But I think these are even more important in this kind of situation because if you are away at University, you are around so many social situations, new people, new cities or towns, figuring your life out etc. This is a big period of your life and without your partner there to be part of this, it can be hard. That's why getting them over and getting them involved can really help them continue to be a part of your life. It allows them to see your life at Uni, meet your friends, make memories with you there etc. Of course you want to balance this out so that they aren't there all the time, and if you are long distance you don't get to see them that often. So even if this is only once every so often, do it if you can, that's my tip!

-PositiveAura:rainbow2:

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you @PositiveAura :)

Social networking via our phones, tablets and even netbooks make long distance relationships more bearable than ever before - because of the immense choice of media available. Even Facebook chat or Yahoo messenger or even a video chat can help keep a relationship alive, even bringing lonely hearts together.