Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New Job- Feel they are taking advantage of me

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
So as you may know I started my new job on the 13th of July in a nursery and ive started to feel that they are taking advantage of me considering I'm still on my trial, this is because they always make me do the cleaning and I don't have a choice and therefore I don't spend much time with the children which is what I had in my mind when I applied for the job. I understand cleaning needs to be done but I always feel its me that is doing it. it got to a stage when even though ive only just started I dotn want to go to work for the rest of this week as I need to speak to the manager who wont be back till next Tuesday. how can I stop myself feeling like this?

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey Laura

Have you spoke to your manager yet?

I think you if you feel like you're being taken advantage of it always good to read what your job description actually says for you to be doing And question it to them? and then if they keep telling you to do cleaning, maybe question if it is a job you want cause know how horrible it can feel to dread your week at work Hope it works out

Take care
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
    Hi Shaunie. I haven't spoken to a manager about this as since I wrote the post I have been given time with the children and they are sharing out the cleaning between the staff better so its much better at work right now. if things get back to how it was before then I will say something but things are okay right now.
  • SunshineSoulSunshineSoul Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hi Laura,

​That's great to hear about your work situation improving. I have been in your position previously and have felt similar feelings in regards to delegation of tasks. I have personally found having an open and honest line of communication with my manager meant that we could work together to improve the work environment so don't be afraid to speak up and let your manager know how you are feeling - and this applies to anything you may be unhappy with. Alternatively, you could always ask for support from other employees or suggest a 'cleaning rota' so that workload is fairly shared.

​- SunshineSoul :rainbow: