Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.

Not being treated as an adult

Sholay09Sholay09 Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 100 The Mix convert
Hello my name is Shola and I feel very angry about people not treating me as an adult when they should do as I am now 19 and free to do as I please basically like date people older than me without anyone stopping me or saying negative things as all adults should be treated the same as they are not children.

Comments

• AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 1,237 Fanatical Poster
    Hey Shola,

It's hypocritical how we are expected to act like adults but are still treated like children by the older generations. Still, 19 is young, and until 25 you're still really classed as a 'young adult' rather than just an 'adult' in most people's eyes. Because you do still mature up until your mid twenties.

I guess with the 'dating older people' thing, maybe people are just worried that you could be exploited, or unappreciated as a person and just used as a sex object. It's still the worse case scenario, but it still happens. Of course, it's entirely your choice to make, but people will always judge you for your choices, because that's what people do unfortunately. I'm fed up of it myself.

I guess the best advice I can give is to do whatever you want to do (don't let people pressure you into being someone else but you), but be wary of possible consequences and what other people will think of you.

Just trying to add a bit of perspective :)
  • GlennGlenn Posts: 52 Miniposter
    Hi Shola

I hear that you're angry about being stopped or judged about wanting to date older people. I wonder why people are saying these things to you and what their concerns are.

I'm interested to hear what it is about the idea of an older partner that makes it something you'd like?