Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hymen...........

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
Ok guys this might be awkward to ask/talk about but I don't know what to do about it.

So when I was younger I discovered that I had a cord like things going long ways across my vigina. I asked my nan about it but as I was young I didn't really know how to describe it. Still don't really. My nan told me it was normal but didn't really say much so I didn't talk about it again, it's only recently I've realised that not everyone's got one. (I know I'm 22 but I never gave it a thought) anyway I was talking to my mate and it came up in a conversation (not sure why) she told me she hadn't got one nor ever heard of one.

So anyway I've left it. But now I'm worried, although I'm not planning on anything soon I'm worried it's going to be very very painful when it comes to sex. I know that when I've tried to discover what's going on it can become quite tender. I'm also worried that if and when it breaks it's going to bleed lots as it is like a cord and that it will leave it in one long strand or two small but noticeable strands. Which I have no clue how I would get rid of. I have tried to break it before to make it easier when I do decide to have sex. But it's too painful and just won't break.

I'm presuming from what I've read it's a septate hymen. However mine isn't extremely thick and sort of hangs.

Any ideas what to do guys? And anyone ever heard of them or has/had the same

Sorry I've put it here but dunno where else go.

EmmaXx

Comments

• Options
    DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey one-in-a-million,

As you know we're not medical experts here but from what you are saying it would probably be best to visit the doctor or the gynaecologist to be on the safe side! They will definitely help you trying to figure out what it is and if there is some way to get rid of it for when you do decide to become sexually active! And side note, don't feel awkward for talking about these things! They're perfectly normal to talk about and that is what the boards are here for!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Drea:heart:
  • Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hi there One in a million :)
    of course non of us are trained experts in medical issues so it's best to speak to your GP about it, they can possibly refer you to the gynaecologist or help you themselves. i wouldn't try "breaking" or "fixing" it alone as it can be rather painful and there is a chance they can even do it for you! never feel embarrassed to talk about these kinds of topics or issues, it's perfectly normal and you deserve help and and advice as much as the next person, also on a side note! you can request a female GP or even speak to a nurse if you find that more comfortable :)

Hope all goes well keep us posted :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    Hey!

I have no idea if what ive heard is right or not but i thought everyone had a hymen. That breaks when having sex or like horse riding can even break it and bleed quite a bit or not a lot. And is very painful.

But then ive also heard that some people have to have surgery because it stops them from having periods and would build up and get an infection. And heard that some are to big, still get their periods but need surgery. I really dont know how true any of that is so i would see someone if itconcerns you
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Contrary to belief its not actually supposed to be break, in extreme circumstances it can, but usually things like riding a bike or having sex generally just stretches it, if you're born with a full one that stops you having periods a profile might have to break it for you but if not then they probably won't, it would still be handy to see a professional however or get some info from the brooks website :)

Best of wishes

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hi guys thanks for replying, I suppose I was more looking to see if anyone else had the same problem lol.

I've tried to get a female doctor at my gp which is a nightmare due to there only being one.

Shaunie you are right everyone has got on but it doesn't always break. They all come in different shapes however sometimes they don't form right during womb development this can lead to a hymen having etra tissue which split the viginal openo in two and causing two openings or in other cases completely blocking the viginal opening. I've looked at different diagrams and mine is basically like a septate hymen.

Some of them are shown here in a diahu (delete if not allowed)

http://youngwomenshealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/hymen-types.gif
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Hi OIAM, everyone has given your great advice that they are only really a problem if they stop you from having periods. If you're really worried though maybe your GP would be able to reassure you about it.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”