Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

False assumptions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Many people have made false assumptions about me, and start conversations with me using those assumptions. Why are many people certain of various things about me which aren't actually true? Among those things are that I (like everyone, according to them), had a blissfully happy childhood, that I have a strong interest in football, that I drink tea, that I spend hours every day playing video games, that I've burgled houses, that I get drunk and have fights in the street every weekend etc. In fact, I suffered a horrifically deprived childhood, have no interest in sport, never play video games, have never considered becoming a burglar and have never been drunk.

When I correct these people's assumptions about me, in most cases they either refuse to believe me or they insult me. I've been told: "How can you not get drunk at the weekend? That's what the weekend is for!" and "That's what you do when you're a teenager: you hang around the streets with your mates; you get pissed; you get bored; you do over a few houses. We all did it - don't pretend you didn't!"

Do most people experience many people wrongly assuming things about them? If any of you have been on the receiving end of false assumptions about you, how do you deal with it?

What are the reasons for this happening? Do many people simply assume that I'm the same as them? Do they wrongly put me in a category, then assume that I'm typical of that type of person?

Comments

• louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    You're not special. Everyone in society makes judgements and assumptions. it's just what happens. Girls like pink and make up. Boys like blue and football. It's just how society is. It's not that deep.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't claim to be special. I don't make assumptions about people. I'll often be aware that something is likely to be the case, but I wouldn't be certain of something unless I knew it to be true.

Millions of people have suffered deprived childhoods, so why would anyone assume that mine was idyllic?

The burgling houses one is the worst assumption. That's not a rite-of-passage for every teenage boy, nor is it a typical pastime for them - so why assume that I did that when I was a teen?