Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bad Weekend at Work makes me not want to go back

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
Well on the 11th and 12th of March I didn't have good shifts at work which isn't making it easy for me to go back.

​On the 11th I did a 10-8;30 shift and ended up being on tills the whole time up to 6;30ish apart from an hour 15 break. this was because it was so busy but it wasn't easy because I felt emotional and didn't really want to deal with customers but I had no choice because all staff were needed on tills most of the day.

​On the 12th I did an 8-5 shift and after my lunch at 1 I asked my supervisor if I could come off tills for a bit and she let me but then I didn't go back. she came to find me 10mins later and she was like you aren't going to come back on tills today are you and I was like no I cant and she was like u ok as its not like you to be like this and u didn't seem yourself from the minute u came in today and I was like just having a hard time family wise and cant deal with customers anymore today and she was like its ok u can stay on leisure today and I knew as soon as u came off your lunch you weren't yourself and I'm guessing its because you had time to think about it and I was like yeah and she was like say on leisure and be strong. Anyway once she left at 3 I kept getting called to tills which I ignored ever single time intil a manager came to find me and the other supervisor which at that point I went so I didn't get into trouble.

​I have work the rest off the week which not looking forward to.

​I'm wondering if its best I explain that I want to be on my section at the moment so I have a distraction/focus instead of tills if the manager will be understanding, need some advice anyone

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Laura12345 wrote: »
    Well on the 11th and 12th of March I didn't have good shifts at work which isn't making it easy for me to go back.

​On the 11th I did a 10-8;30 shift and ended up being on tills the whole time up to 6;30ish apart from an hour 15 break. this was because it was so busy but it wasn't easy because I felt emotional and didn't really want to deal with customers but I had no choice because all staff were needed on tills most of the day.

​On the 12th I did an 8-5 shift and after my lunch at 1 I asked my supervisor if I could come off tills for a bit and she let me but then I didn't go back. she came to find me 10mins later and she was like you aren't going to come back on tills today are you and I was like no I cant and she was like u ok as its not like you to be like this and u didn't seem yourself from the minute u came in today and I was like just having a hard time family wise and cant deal with customers anymore today and she was like its ok u can stay on leisure today and I knew as soon as u came off your lunch you weren't yourself and I'm guessing its because you had time to think about it and I was like yeah and she was like say on leisure and be strong. Anyway once she left at 3 I kept getting called to tills which I ignored ever single time intil a manager came to find me and the other supervisor which at that point I went so I didn't get into trouble.

​I have work the rest off the week which not looking forward to.

​I'm wondering if its best I explain that I want to be on my section at the moment so I have a distraction/focus instead of tills if the manager will be understanding, need some advice anyone

Hey Laura,
    As someone who also struggles with facing customers when being on tills I really get where you're coming from, from my experience there's no harm in trying to explain to them/just ask them if it's possible to not be on tills for the time being and just stick to your section, unless it's absolutely necessary that you need to be on there. It's worth a try :)
    Hiccup
  • Options
    Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
    Thanks Hiccup for the reply. I don't normally mind dealing with customers on tills its just at the moment I feel it helps to be on a section where I then have a focus as I know I need to keep that section tidy and then it keeps me mind distracted from family stuff. its the fact that ever since my cousin has been ill and going through chemo my mind sometimes thinks about that at work when on tills and its not busy and that's why I feel I need to be on my section where I have a focus and a distraction. I'm trying to find the confidence to speak to a manager about it but that's what I'm lacking and I know they probably wont mind when I have told them, its just making the first move. I will let you know how I get on one ive spoken to someone.