Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

When will I stop caring?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi its my first post on here :) I initially came on just look at things but you all seem really supportive so thought i'd give it a try since I find it hard to talk to friends/family as I feel like I just complain all the time.

I'll try keep this as short as possible. I'm 22 and had been with my ex nearly 3 years, it was never perfect as he was always flirting with other girls and only really cared about himself but you don't realise these things at the time. About march/april last year I found out he was talking to a girl he had met on a night out and had met her for drink while we were still together. He knew I knew but continued doing it, then someone told me he was cheating on me with her. He basically denied this and broke up with me. Then for months after kept not talking to or seeing me then coming back to me in some way. We had an expensive holiday booked with his family for September and I was going to cancel my space but every time he came back to me I thought we would sort it out and I didn't cancel the holiday, saying things like he missed me and didn't like the other girl. We went on holiday, it was fine in general, we had sex a few times but nothing coupley and he was still talking to the girl he cheated on me with the whole time.
After the holiday I cut him off telling him he needed to decide and I couldn't cope anymore. He was all sad about it and ended up drunk texting me that night so we continued to talk. Then one day he randomly stopped replying and got in a relationship with the other girl without saying a word to me since. This was in November I think.
I just can't sort myself out of this rut now, its constantly on my mind and makes me really angry to the point where I want to hurt myself (I've been SH since I was 13), I just want to know how to move on and stop caring. I want to be able to be happy and maybe meet someone new eventually, but the memory of him just messes my head up. How are you meant to trust anyone? I know hes just a boy and theres much worse things to happen but i'm just sick and tired of feeling crap.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you broken all contact with him? Do you still bump into him?

Do you enjoy any aspects of your life?
    I have him blocked on social media and deleted his number. Not heard anything since November. I haven't bumped into him but it is a high possibility because there's only a couple of clubs in the town we go out in.
    I do have a good life and plenty of things to be happy about, just sometimes I feel really down for no apparent reason or happening
    Do you dislike being single? Do you feel that there's a void in your life because of that?
    I feel that is does have some benefits but i do miss being with someone.
    All my close friends are living with their boyfriends and always going places with them so that doesn't help being the only single one
    Do you miss him - or do you miss being in a relationship?
    sammy.h94 wrote: »
    I feel that is does have some benefits but i do miss being with someone.
    All my close friends are living with their boyfriends and always going places with them so that doesn't help being the only single one

I can really relate to this feeling and it sucks but the only way is up. I find that keeping myself occupied helps whether that be it film, visiting places or being with my favourite people :)
    If the ex made you unhappy, why would you miss them?
    Humans are complicated and so is love. You remember all the good parts but I guess is the company that gets you in the end.
    I think I miss him, you're right to question though. I literally have no idea haha, when you're with someone for so long I guess its natural to miss them. As they say love is blind/stupid
    @Notagainvitelina yeah in some ways being without him makes my life easier, I have time to do whatever I want with whoever I want :) i'm feeling more positive today but it would be nice not to care all the time
  • micamica Deactivated Posts: 98 Budding Regular
    Hi sammy.h94

You are definitely not alone in feeling confused and hurt after the end of a relationship. It's very normal to feel sad when things end, even if the relationship wasn't always rewarding. Like notagainvitelina said, you tend to remember/miss the good things more than the bad. In my opinion (which could easily be wrong for you, but I'll give it to you just in case it helps), you're doing a great job by having separated yourself from him via social media. Perhaps you can reach out to your friends and ask them to do more "girls nights" with you so you don't feel as lonely-- and I bet they would enjoy the chance to just be silly and girly too without their boyfriends. I am a strong believer that it will get easier with time; he was a big part of your life for an extended amount of time, and it will just take time to adjust to a new way of being again.

How are you getting on today? wishing you the best!

- mica
    Hi Mica :)

Yeah I guess its just a process of time and healing, I've had breakups before but never like this so i'm not sure what i'm meant to do. The girls are great, they're good friends and we do things just us sometimes. Its just times where its like 'are we bringing boyfriends?' Oh yeah ill bring my invisible one haha. and the fact they all live together.
    I'm feeling okay today :) , my moods tend to go up and down, so when i'm down everything feels 10000% times worse. Managed to hurt myself while I've been feeling low so that's good :)
    Did you have any relationships before? If so, how did you get over those break-ups?
    I've had a couple that have lasted like a year each or something. I dunno really, one was with a complete psycho so I was glad to leave, the other I thought I was really upset but then just got over it fairly quickly, started going out to clubs and having fun with my friends. This time I do all that stuff but its just different :confused:
    Also just realised my above post was meant to say managed to not hurt myself****
    Why do you miss someone whom you don't like and chose to split up with? What is it about him that you miss?
  • DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey Sammy,
    First of all thank you for saying we're supportive here, means a lot! Secondly, what you're going through is very common and loads of people go through it unfortunately. The good thing is that the way that you're feeling is very temporary! It's natural to feel the way that you do after a break up especially since you've had strong feelings for him for so long. It isn't a feeling that will often go overnight, but naturally when you have feelings for someone it's harder to let go with all the memories you have.

Regardless, you deserve to be happy, and whether that means just working on yourself and doing what makes you happy, or going out and meeting new people and potentially getting into a relationship again, then so be it! There is nothing wrong with doing either of those things. With the self-harming, that's a more serious subject to talk about. We aren't experts here so we can't give you many tips etc... But if you're comfortable with it, it may be good to visit an expert to talk about how to stop the self-harming. There are places that you can call to ask for help anonymously and talk to experts which you may be more comfortable with (we'll link those down below). But for now, try your best to focus on the fact that you deserve to be happy and you deserve someone who will make you just as happy as you would make them! It is of course hard, but it could be beneficial to try to not focus on the past and just think of making new memories and starting afresh! We are all here for you if you need us and do not hesitate to contact us again! Hope you have a better day today :)
    Hugs from Drea :heart:

Links:
    - http://www.selfinjurysupport.org.uk/help-and-support-with-self-injury/tess-text-and-email-support-service/
    - http://www.samaritans.org/
    I'm puzzled at how you can be glad that he's out of your life, but also miss him. Do you feel those feelings at the same time, or switch between the two?

I'm not criticising you - I'm trying to understand how you feel so that I can try to advise you.
    @Robert its fine I know you're not trying to criticise :) I find it very confusing myself, he actually spilt up with me and ended the contact. The only explanation I have is is I am stupid haha. I switch between the two, logically I know I am better off and that it is a good thing it's over but then I just miss the good times sometimes. The times when we had fun and when he was really nice. Its more the anger I feel though, that I put up with it for so long.

@Drea hi :) thank you for the advice and support <3 I think I am basically just waiting for the feelings to go, they normally always do eventually, they have become less frequent which is a good sign. As for the self harm it's not something I do very often anymore thankfully but I've done it for so many years it's hard to just get rid completely