Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not feeling myself recently

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
A few weeks ago (17dec) I had an awkard sitution at work with a customer! A customer asked me to try on coats for size as he said I was size of his daughter and I didn't think anything of it and then he also got another member of staff to do it bcos he said that she's like the same weight and I was the right height of her daughter! Anyway we didn't think anything of it and then he went around the store for ages taking pictures and he came back to both of us and said thanks now I've got lots of pictures and we are worried if there were any of us! We did tell a supervisor about it and I also told another supervisor about how it made me feel on the Sunday afterwards!

Anyway of saying this because ever since it happened it's made my anxiety worse and made me feel extremely self conscious! It got to a stage when I ignore the bells for staff to go back to tills (I work in retail) because I don't want to deal directly with customers and it's getting me into trouble! I don't know if I should tell the supervisor about how it's still affecting me because I'm currently still been put on tills!!

Also it's got to a stage when I'm worried I'm going to end up back in hospital because of last time I felt like this I stopped eating which made me go into hospital because my weight was extremely low!

Also is it bad that don't feel i can open up to my family about it?!

Please someone offer some advice

Comments

• Options
    RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Laura12345 hope your having a better day. I personally think its normal to get anxiety over something like this, and he might just be doing it for his daughter and be no other reason why.

I would say you should speak to your manager about the situation though, and explain how it makes you feel when you work on the tills, they may be able to help.

And its not bad you don't feel like you can open up to family, maybe try talking to a friend about it instead. A lot of people struggle to open up to their families.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
  • Options
    Hi Rhys. thanks for getting back to me. Thanks for sying that its normal to feel like this over that situation that makes me feel better and yeh it could have just been for his daughter but had second thoughts about it all. I'm planning to speak to my supervisor at work on Saturday if I have the confidence to because she knows how the situation made me feel so I'm gonna explain to her that its still the case and plus someone else I work with that knows how I'm feeling said she will come with me if needed. I don't feel I can open up to my family but a few of my friends know and are helping me as much as possible. I want to open up to my aunt about it because she could tell I wasn't myself when we met up the other day but I'm worried if I do that it will then go back to my mum as after all they are sisters.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Laura :)

Good to hear you felt a bit better the other day. Sounds like your colleagues and friends are being really supportive about how you're feeling at work :yes: Did you manage to have a chat with your supervisor yesterday?

Anxiety can be triggered by pretty much anything no matter how trivial it may seem. I think it's really good that you're aware of how it's made you feel and have spoken to your work colleagues about it to get some support. What do you reckon might help you to lessen your worry a little? :chin:

Keep posting here if it helps *hug*
  • Options
    Hi. Yeah I was starting to feel slightly better. Yeah my colleagues and friends are being supportive. I told one supervisor about it yesterday and I'm gonna mention it to my other supervisor tomorrow if I have the confidence to. Yah I know what has caused my anxiety and I don't know what to do to make me less worried..I felt ill at work today because of my anxiety.
  • Options
    Hi. An update on things. I managed to speak to my other supervisor about the situation on Tuesday and she was really understanding and immediately took me off the tills because of me saying my anxiety was bad and that I was feeling ill because of it and that being on tills didn't help matters and she even gave me the choice where I wanted to be so that I felt happy. Its got to a stage when I'm starting to feel ill whenever they put me on tills because of how bad my anxiety is at the moment.

​Its got to a stage when I think about calling in sick because I don't want to go to work especially during the week when the supervisors don't know about how I'm feeling at the moment so I end up being on tills. Tomorrow and Friday I'm doing 11-8;30 shifts and I know I'm going to end up on tills at some point but I know that will set off my anxiety and make me feel ill so I've got to try and build the confidence to speak to the weekday supervisor (she does know about my anxiety as I've mentioned it to her in the past) so she knows how bad it is at the moment.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey :wave:

Really good to hear that your supervisor has been so supportive and helping you to feel a bit better at work. How did you get on the rest of the week?

If you're nervous about speaking to the weekday supervisor, do you think you might feel more comfortable telling her with the other supervisor present, as she is aware of how you're feeling at the moment? :chin:
  • Options
    Hi x thanks for the reply. My supervisor from Tuesday was really supportive and from now on I'm no longer till staff unless it gets really busy, she has given me a mini department near tills so I can still pop on if it gets busy but she is keeping me off it as much as possible because she knows that it doesn't do my anxiety any good. She had to put me on tills for 1hr30 mins yesterday because it was busy and we didn't have the staff and she could see it was making me anxious and later on in the shift I went to her because I felt ill because of how bad my anxiety had got and she let me have some timeout. When I got to work today she told me that I would no longer be just on tills but that I would have the department and only pop on tills when it got busy. Today was a much better shift and I'm glad that I had the confidence to speak to her so that she can help me and I'm glad she has sorted a solution for it.

​For the rest of the week I wasn't great because I was on tills some of the time because that is the shift I agreed to so she said I needed to be on there but if I had the confidence to tell her about my anxiety then she may have taken me off because on Friday someone else was meant to be on tills but then after speaking to the supervisor didn't have to be on tills because of some personal matter. I'm going to hopefully speak to the weekday supervisor on Tuesday when I'm in because after this weekend knowing that it helps to speak to a supervisor because they can sort out the issue. I spoke to the weekend supervisor about whether the weekday supervisor would be understanding and she said she will so that has given me more confidence to speak to her on Tuesday