Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Please Help, short notice interview, really worried.

DistractionDistraction Posts: 449 Listening Ear
Hi, I just got a call from a job I applied for online, I was nerves about applying for this job because I don't know if I can do it, it's for a call center, I do find it hard to talk to people but I thought it would be ok, considering you get 8 days training.

The thing is I had an interview when I was on the phone and he said that the group interview is tomorrow at 2, talk about short notice, am getting really stressed the now, he said that theres a typing assessment and role play and it all last for 3/4 hours and I can barely do anything, am so worried and scared about it, but I really need a job and this is the first interview I have had in a while. T

The other thing is I said I hadn't had a job before but I have, I only went once, it was event staff. But that might get me into trouble, I've also applied for the army reserves, if they find that out will I be in a bad spot because I didn't tell them?

So scared, on the other hand I could just not go, no one knows about it, it could have never happened, or I could call up and re arrange the date but I would still be as scared to go when the time came round. Do I just need to stop all this nonsenses and go?

Any advice would be really helpful, please, thank u for reading

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey distraction, great news about the interview!

The first thing I would do is breathe and keep calm. Panicking will distract you and stop you from being as effective at preparing.

Think about your how your previous experience (e.g. the events staff, but also school/college/uni) might link in to what you are going to be doing in this job - so for example communication skills, understanding, patience etc.

With regards to the role play the advice here seems pretty sound: https://www.wikijob.co.uk/content/interview-advice/interview-types/role-play

What is important is not to be the loudest or talk most (as this won't get you any points!) but to make sure you are confident, listen to others whilst effectively putting your point across - but most importantly - be yourself :) No point putting on a persona as they will soon find out when you start!

You don't have to let any job know you have applied for any others, either. I would advise going as any experience is good and will be useful for the future.

Good luck - and if it does go badly, ask for feedback and use the feedback to help in further interviews :)
  • Options
    Hi plugitin,

Thank you very much. That is some really helpful advice and the link helps a lot, I suppose it is better to try at least and if it does go wrong then it's not the end of the world all I need to do is get organised tonight, get myself to the interview tomorrow and then what ever happens is going to happen.
  • Options
    RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    Hey Distraction, I'm correct in thinking your interview was today? if so, how did it go?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
  • Options
    Hi Rhys,

Ye it should have been, I messed up and feel terrible because I asked for help and was all prepared to go, even tho I was still freaking out but I thought, hey better try at least, especially after asking for help.

I worked out where I would have to go once I got into town and how to calm my self down and what to say and all the rest of it but in the end, I didn't go, the main reason was because I told Jacquie (dads girlfriend) and she wasn't happy about it being a call center, she wants me to work in a shop but still gets angry because I haven't found a job yet, but none of that really matters, the fact is I could have gone but I let everything get the better of me, I found an excuse and thought to my self I can't go now and I was relived but at the time I also knew I should have gone.

Feeling sh*ty and it's no ones fault but mine, am not looking for sympathy I know I should have just got of my arse and done it. And now am applying online for anything again, waiting for the next argument the come along because I haven't got a job.