Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Don't know what to do...

2»

Comments

• Options
    StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi @pumpkinpie glad to hear that you're doing fine at the moment, that's great to hear. :yes: Sounds like your friend is having a tough time at the moment, you've done a really positive thing to come here to look for some help for her. :) This article might be useful to have a look at - Helping someone with panic attacks

Your friend is welcome to come on here and join the community if she'd like to talk more about what's going on for her. From what you've said about her feeling like she has no friends and that she claims her teachers hate her, it might be worth having a look at this article too - Helping someone beat bullying

As it was World Mental Health Day yesterday we also have this page about helping someone with their mental health which might be helpful to look at too.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Hi Steph, thanks.

I tried to help my friend over Facebook messenger but I accidentally messaged our group chat with other people and another friend got really annoyed because "what works for me won't necessarily work for her" which I understand, as I wasn't even suggesting things I'd tried. But she won't help herself and had a panic attack in a crowd at school yesterday and claims her mum thinks she's overreacting and should "shut up and deal with it" I don't want to seem too overbearing.

Pumpkin

PS I did suggest coming on here but she didn't want to
  • Options
    StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi @pumpkinpie, sounds really frustrating for you. Sounds like from what you're saying you're trying your best to help your friend, seems like you're offering her suggestions to try and help but also sometimes just being there to listen if she wants to offload anything that's on her mind could be useful to, what do you think? You can't force her to get help but you're doing really well to encourage her to look for help for herself and it might be worth suggesting this again to her if you think this may help?

You may want to have a look here or let your friend know about some useful contacts that might be able to help with panic attacks.

She's always welcome to come on here at a later date if she changes her mind :)

• Options
    Hi, sorry I haven't been on for a while, too busy with studies!

The situation with my friend is getting worse, but I'm not sure if some of the things she's telling me are entirely true. She's been receiving homophobic bullying, both verbal and physical, from one person, and it doesn't seem to be getting sorted out. The headteacher is involved now, so she hopes it will get resolved.

I know I haven't talked about myself for a while (sounds selfish) but I'm debating over trying to talk to a counsellor again. I just don't know if I can describe how I feel without sounding pathetic, because when I try and talk to my mum about it, I just can't seem to get the words out. I'm still worried that they'll just tell me there's nothing wrong and send me away. Has anyone got any articles on talking to a counsellor about your mental health? It would be great if someone did. I seem to be getting more negative thoughts, especially relating to school and appearance. I also get periods where I cry uncontrollably but others where I seem to feel no emotions whatsoever. I still feel that I can't talk to my friends because they have their own issues, even though I try to give them advice.

I know it sounds really silly, but a person who is two years younger than me has been physically assaulting me, mostly in the street, but in school too. He trips me up and shoves me on the stairs, and got his gang to follow me home and throw sticks at me and yell abuse at me. Once I was walking home and he got someone to try and hit me with a suitcase while he threw a plastic bag full of sick at me, and nobody offered to help, they just laughed.

Sorry if this was too much to read
    Pumpkin
  • Options
    NikkiNikki Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Hi Pumpkin, great to hear that you’ve been busy with studies. It is unfortunate that your friend is still being bullied but it is reassuring that the headteacher is involved and the issue will be resolved. It is not selfish at all to talk about the problems you are facing, and it is really positive that you are using the boards to reach out.

Here are some general information on counselling and also info on first session, that you might find helpful.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble - have you told anyone about what has bene happening? Here are some information on bullying that will offer guidance on what to do next. And you might want to check out Bullying UK too. They have a helpline, if you ever need to speak to someone anonymously over the phone.

Please take care and do keep us updated on how you're getting on. We are all here to listen *hug*
  • Options
    Nikki wrote: »
    Hi Pumpkin, great to hear that you’ve been busy with studies. It is unfortunate that your friend is still being bullied but it is reassuring that the headteacher is involved and the issue will be resolved. It is not selfish at all to talk about the problems you are facing, and it is really positive that you are using the boards to reach out.

Here is some http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/mental-health-treatments/counselling-faq-5839.html"]general information on counselling[/URL] and also info onhttp://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/mental-health-treatments/your-first-counselling-session-5921.html"] first session[/URL], that you might find helpful.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble - have you told anyone about what has bene happening? Here ishttp://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/friendship/beat-bullying-6285.html"] some information on bullying[/URL] that will offer guidance on what to do next. And you might want to check out http://www.bullying.co.uk/general-advice/"]Bullying UK[/URL] too. They have a helpline, if you ever need to speak to someone anonymously over the phone.

Please take care and do keep us updated on how you're getting on. We are all here to listen *hug*

Thanks for the advice Nikki.

I have told my mum, but she tells me that they're just being stupid and I shouldn't bother worrying about them. I don't want to tell the school, because most of it happens outside school (which they apparently can't deal with) and I know from previous experience that they're not great at resolving bullying issues in school. My school also has no mental health support for pupils, which some of my friends and I want to change, but we don't know what steps we should take. Ignoring the people involved doesn't work, they still have a go at me.

Thanks again,
    Pumpkin

PS: Has anyone got advice or articles on how to tell my mum about how I'm feeling? I always find it really hard and she doesn't really understand