Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

19 years old-Living in overcrowded space and with family..Options?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi All,

I live in a family of 8 people. I share a room with one of my siblings. Our house is overcrowded and now another baby is on the way (not planned,,)

I am working and in receipt of no benefits at all whatsoever(!!), what housing options are available for me, if any?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Look for somewhere else to live, you have a job so you're earning money
    Do you understand???

My hard earned money is helping others to live, through taxes. I have little coming in every month and nowhere near enough to privately rent or have somewhere else to live. Maybe I wasn't English/British or was a cheat then I could move out somewhere else....x
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Go to council say you're homeless. I got housed by the 16+team when I was 17 and homeless but I don't know if the 16+team still exist lol
  • StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi Hannah,

Sounds like a hard situation to be, have you looked in to whether you might be entitled to any benefits at all? There's this website where you can work out what benefits or grants you could be entitled to called Turn2us

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]There's some information about what kind of help you can get if you're legally homeless and what this means on this page 'Am I Homeless?'

Hope this helps :)
    [/FONT]
    Lost_sense wrote: »
    Go to council say you're homeless. I got housed by the 16+team when I was 17 and homeless but I don't know if the 16+team still exist lol

But she isn't homeless
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Have you explored house shares?
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi Hannah. I agree with Steph about looking into what benefits you could be entitled to. There is also an article here which may help - although it's aimed at 16 year olds and sort of assumes the home situation is potentially dangerous, the options it mentions are still valid.

As plugitin says houseshares could also be a more affordable option.

Do let us know how you get on :)
    Hiccup wrote: »

But she isn't homeless

Hi Hiccup,
    I would really appreciate if you don't input things about my situation without asking or understanding more first. Thank you.
    Steph, Cat88 and Plugitin,

Thank you all so much for your replies and offering me some support with this.Am so not used to support at all! :( But thank you so much,

I have looked into house shares but perhaps not in the right way, if that makes sense?

I could look into that but I'm not sure I am entitled to any as such. People who are on benefits tend to be more wealthy though and this annoys me as I work so hard to earn the money I have, while struggling with mental health, ongoing issues and other stuff too x
    Hey Hannah,
    Somewhere like spareroom or Gumtree might be a good place to start looking. Normally you will have your own room (check also if you can lock it when you go out) but then share communal facilities. Normally they would be cheaper than renting a whole place to yourself, can be a good way to meet people and gain independence.

Housing benefit has no relation to houseshares providing you have your rent money.

On a side note, people are on benefits for a reason - because they need the support of society to help them get to the stage where they can contribute to society. Please (and I'm asking politely, it's not a jibe), don't generalise. You might also find people more willing to help on here if you keep your opinions on this away from your posts :)
    Hello,

I have looked on Spareroom.com and have so far found nothing on there which feels/looks right or is financially suitable for me. I would much rather it if I could find somewhere where the room could be locked. Most definitely.

Thank you for the advice, it's really hard at times to keep opinions inside.
    Keep looking. Rooms will come up and go all the time :) you can also sent alerts up I think so you can get emails when something new comes up that matches what you want. Good luck.
    Thank you, I will keep looking. I kind of feel guilty for feeling the need to move and live somewhere else though, you know?

Hannah x
    It's understandable you want some space and independence - you're 19 now and it's natural to want to go your own way a bit :)
    I guess that's true, I just feel soo suffocated, trapped and controlled that it's causing claustrophobia in this lifestyle as a whole, if this makes sense?

It's soo expensive and I'm not sure I'll cope financially--I work hard for EVERY PENNY that I have...x