Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hello! Nice to meet you and all that jazz

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi! My name's Zoe and I'm 17 years old. I've struggled with a handful of mental illnesses over the years. At 12 I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa. It was pretty severe. I kind of turned into the walking dead, almost died and all that fun stuff. Struggled with that until about age 15. I still have bad body image issues and weird, idiosyncratic eating habits but I'm not starving myself anymore. So that's good, I guess. During the time I was dealing with my eating disorder I was also suffering from depression and severe anxiety. Suicidal thoughts, extreme panic attacks and constant anxiety. It all led to me having to leave school after freshman year. I got my high school equivalency diploma last October and now I'm just kind of floundering. It's been rather isolating. I tried to start community college a month ago but I had a panic attack on my second day and immediately withdrew. Two days! Less than that really, because it was in the middle of class. That must be some kind of record. Anyway, I'm kind of blabbering. It's just been really, really lonely. I have a couple of close friends and I have my mom, but I'm really looking to meet and talk to other people with mental health issues because I don't know anyone else that struggles with it. It would be nice to feel less alone. :)

Comments

• Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    Hello Zoe, welcome to The Mix community :wave:

A friendly and very supportive bunch of people here - i will let someone who is not half asleep read ^^^ - would just like to let you know that i am 18 years old and suffer with depression and generalized anxiety disorder.

You are not alone in your illness and a diagnosis isnt a label. *hug* See you around on the boards and in group chat if you go.

Jessica
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Zoe,

Welcome to this thing :) I'm new here too so I'm kinda just reaching out to people. I too struggle with depression so if you wanted somebody to talk to about that then I'm happy to chat xx
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hello Zoe. Welcome to the forum :)
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi and welcome @zoearabella9 Look forward to chatting with you :yes:
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi Zoe, welcome :)
  • NikkiNikki Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Hi Zoe, welcome to The Mix! :) Looking forward to chatting with you. We all very friendly and supportive so feel to share your thoughts or feelings any time.