Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Meeting Royalty

Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
Hello Everyone,

This has certainly been the hardest thing ever to keep a secret, I have had my mouth screwed shut since Thursday 21st of this month, there have been tonnes of times where I have just wanted to scream the announcement out but I have managed to keep it to myself.

Basically as most of you know I volunteer for an organisation called YoungMinds which is all about improving mental health services for young people as well as creating more awareness and breaking down the stigma that surrounds this highly ignored topic. As a media champion my role is to create more awareness of mental health and tell my own story by doing TV and radio interviews and also talking to journalists for magazine/newspaper interviews.

I saw this opportunity on there media champion page and which had a very brief description of the opportunity and I thought this must be a good one plus it’s the first media opportunity I have undertaken with YoungMinds so I grabbed it with both hands. Not till I reached the meeting point I was told that we were heading to Kensington Palace to do some filming and I thought, YAY! I thought nothing of it, I walked into the palace gardens when the filming took place and had to show my passport at the gate to the security and ticked off a register and I was walked to the location by members of staff and saw all these gigantic camera’s and camera’s on like the end of crane looking things, as im a media student I found this all soooo intresting……then BOOM!!
We were all told to get into our groups as we will be meeting Prince Harry, Prince William and Kate in the next 10 mins and they will be coming out to get involved in the film – as you can imagine I thought I was in a dream but I also felt like I was on cloud 9; such a surreal experience – I went to shake Harry’s hand and I said Hello Harry, my name is Jessica People and its very nice to meet you and I am here with YoungMinds (my hand was shaking so much), it was weird because felt like id known him for years – spent ages speaking to him (well…..the others did as I was speechless) and I quickly also shook Kates hand near the end of filming and told her how much of an amazing role model she is (don’t ask…..i say stupid things when I nervous) – I spoke to Prince Willam for a while as well.

Yep I went and met three members of the royal family and now got a lucozade bottle that I will keep for life, LOL and I met a lot of other amazing people as there were six other mental health charities there, I met this man who left afghanistan suffering with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and we must of chatted for ages – its great to meet other people who care and understand.

Never give up on your dreams!

I saw the runner from The Mix who is called Louise Jones, i didn't even expect to be meeting three members of the royal family, the best and most surreal experience ive ever had; it was such an honour to of been involved! :D

''You were in the wilderness
Looking for your own purpose
Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Thanks for sharing Jessica. :thumb:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    Thanks for sharing Jessica. :thumb:

Thank you - im glad you enjoyed reading it! :hyper:

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    WOW, that's amazing :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's really quite something Jessica! Sounds like an unforgettable experience :eek:

Keep up the great work, really inspiring :thumb:
  • Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    Thank you everyone, it was certainly such an amazing and unforgettable experience and it was such an honour in being involved in such a video - its onwards and upwards from here! :)

- James Arthur (YOU)