Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Am I paying too much Tax?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, New job, first pay-day tomorrow, today I received my payslip which says i've earned almost £1,600, which includes Overtime. Anyways, With tax reductions I now have £1,280.....
Simple thing is, Have I been taxed too much?

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Do you have your payslip to hand? If so, does it say your tax code? I know some new starters got put through on an emergency tax code at my place, so maybe this happened to you as well?
    320 sounds about right though, if national insurance is also included.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you worked at anytime since April 2015?

www.listentotaxman.com Should give you an idea.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    What is your tax code?
    Weekender Offender 
    1060L
    No, that sounds about right to me!

This is a good site to check to see if you are paying too much or too little tax - http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/lifestyle.php
    That does sound about right. The 1060L code means you are able to earn £10,600 tax free. It's pretty much the standard tax code for people who don't receive any taxable benefits or have any other jobs.
    Weekender Offender 
    That does sound about right. The 1060L code means you are able to earn £10,600 tax free. It's pretty much the standard tax code for people who don't receive any taxable benefits or have any other jobs.
    Weekender Offender 
    So I've been speaking with HR at work and they think im on wrong tax code...
    Hey Redhead - this sounds really frustrating :(

Are they going to sort this out for you?

I thought I'd drop this link in too as there's some useful info on claiming tax back if you need to: http://www.thesite.org/money/tax-mon...back-9399.html

Hope it gets sorted for you soon!