Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I need some time on my own

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
[FONT=&quot]Relationships are emotional things, so we rarely come to them with a clear and unbiased head. We tend to read a lot more into what someone says than just the[/FONT][FONT=&quot]words they use. And people tend to mean more than just the words they use! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For example, if someone says "can I take your number?", there is probably some other meaning in that sentence. Maybe it also means "I'd like to be your friend", or "you look hot". It can be hard to tell sometimes. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If your boyfriend/girlfriend/lover/partner/spouse says to you "I need some time on my own", what do you think they're really [/FONT][FONT=&quot]saying to you?[/FONT]

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

I know many friends who have been upset by their partners saying they needed time alone - and its natural to feel a little hurt. But it can be a positive thing as it shows an open and honest relationship. They are not attacking us, but are simply asking for what they feel they need.

If a partner doesn't express their needs (even if they might upsetting the other) then they won't get these needs met - and that will just cause more resentment and affect the relationship long term even more :chin:

Also "time alone" doesn't have to mean "without YOU" - it could mean "without ANYONE". It's always worth asking them directly what they mean - as Danny says it's really easy to assume things and maybe get them wrong!