Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Psychiatric Assessment?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What happens at a psychiatric assessment? Thank you x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey :wave:

Usually an initial assessment is for the professional to build up a picture of who you are and what your needs are. It’s also an opportunity for you to discuss what you would like to get out of it and ask any questions.

There is an NHS guide, which outlines a typical assessment, and also some handy tips to help get the most out of it.

I hope that helps :)
    raich wrote: »
    Hey :wave:

Usually an initial assessment is for the professional to build up a picture of who you are and what your needs are. It’s also an opportunity for you to discuss what you would like to get out of it and ask any questions.

There is an NHS guide, which outlines a typical assessment, and also some handy tips to help get the most out of it.

I hope that helps :)

Hi Raich,

Thank you very much for a very helpful reply, I really appreciate it!

I have my psychiatric assessment in January....

You're welcome :)

That's a couple of months away, how are you feeling about it?

You have some time to prepare and maybe think of questions you might like to ask :yes:
    Hi Raich,

It was good of you to reply here to me, thank you, I appreciate that..

I am feeling very nervous and scared about it to be totally honest though I guess I have a couple of months left until that appt.to prepare myself for it :s

xx
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey AngelFace,

It's totally understandable to feel nervous. The idea of opening up a bit to a stranger is pretty scary. But it's worth remembering that they'll be on your side :) They won't be trying to trip you up and there's no pass or fail.

Taking some time to prepare sounds like a good idea. How do you think you might try that?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey AngelFace,

I totes get where you're coming from, I couldn't bear entering room during my first psychiatric assessment and I get how daunting it must be for you, but I can reassure you that you are not alone in this. I've always been told the hardest bit of recovery is the aspect of opening up, but the first steps for recovery that should be taken are to open up. If that makes sense? However, like Raich has mentioned, a psychiatric assessment with allow the Psychiatric to build a bond with you and get a picture of what's actually going on for you, and also you as a person.

Despite how daunting a Psych assessment may sound, what you talk about is entirely up to you, you don't have to talk about anything you don't yet feel comfortable talking about, and the settings, I've found, despite it being in an office type room to be quite comforting and cosy. But again this varies on where you go, etc. You mentioned you appt was in January, do you have appts with anyone up until the Psych assessment?

If you do, it might be handy to talk over some of the worries you are having etc. I also found taking music along with me helped, I couldn't have sat in the waiting room for more than two minutes without music. I also found it useful taking a tangle, so despite the session being focussed I had something to figit with in my hand. Which for me, really helped, is there anything you find that has helped you in the past during a session?

Do keep us updated on how you're doing lovely :3
    Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart