Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Struggling with alcohol

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm so fucking weak. I don't know what I'm meant to do.
    Hi butterfly,

It sounds like you've been struggling tenaciously these past few weeks, are you still getting any support?

Things often get harder before they begin to get easier, and it's okay to take your time. I think you've shown your strength in realising that continuing to drink is not the healthiest path for you, and through engaging with forms of support :yes:

What do you mean by not knowing what you're meant to do?

You can keep posting here butterfly - let us know how you're doing, we're here for you *hug*

Hi Butterfly

I am sorry to hear that you have been having problems and I am here for you should you ever need someone to talk to or to vent. Sadly we live in a society where addiction is seen by a lot of people as something of a weakness that is the fault of the person living with the addiction. As I am sure that you have noted, there is very little in the way of proper support for those suffering.

What a lot of people fail to realise is that addiction is an illness that some are sadly more predispositioned to than others; there is also a very unhealthy culture surrounding alcohol in Britain, and more people are dependent on alcohol than they realise. Luckily for you, you are aware of this and are aware that the path that alcohol is taking you down is unhealthy and destructive. Ask yourself, if you picture yourself as a young boy/girl, would you choose the destructive path of alcohol for yourself?

There is no harm in reaching out to friends and family and asking for help, the way society is, it is surprising that there are not more people suffering from similar afflictions. Let us not forget that alcohol is a harmful substance that is more powerful than some would like you to believe.

You may feel weak now but you that is nothing compared to how you will feel should you decide to start drinking. It is a vicious cycle, but is one that you are aware of and that makes you a lot more self-aware and on the road to getting better compared to a lot of people.

If you ever want to talk, I am here.

-Ed
    Thanks guys. I've got a new alcohol worker and I was supposed to meet him but he was off sick again so still haven't ever spoken to him, but my support worker has spoken to someone else so I think they're following up.

I'm not sure what I'm meant to do - as in I don't understand how I'm supposed to easily stop myself from drinking. Even when I'm craving alcohol for no real reason, it's so fucking difficult to avoid. That's why I'm weak and I feel I'll always be weak.
    New alcohol worker has cancelled phone call once again. Fuck this shit, I'm so done trying.
    Hey butterfly,

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to speak to your new alcohol worker yet; it must be so frustrating *hug* Have you been able to talk to your support worker?

I can see that you are struggling, and it's certainly not an easy feat, but you are taking steps to recover and making an effort to engage with support - this shows courage :yes:

We're here if you want to talk :)
    I haven't spoken to support worker about it properly again since because I don't want to keep bugging people about it - she has already tried her hardest to get the alcohol worker to support me properly and nothing seems to have improved so Imma just wait it out. I don't care anymore. Well I do - I'm frustrated and alone but I suppose I need to get over it. Thanks for replying.
    I hear your frustration - it's nice that your support worker is doing her best for you though :)

Hopefully it isn't too long a wait and you can always post here whenever you need to *hug*
    I've been wanting to post a new thread for quite a few days now but I really don't know what to say other than I can't deal with this shit. It's like I know I'm fucking everything up but it's also like I don't care at all. I don't know if that's true because obviously wanting to post on here about it says something but guys... please help me
    I'm meant to be going to the gym.. I don'tknow what to do. I want to ring support worker but I don't want her to be disappointed
  • SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi butterfly

I'm sorry to hear today has been so hard. Do you think it might help to go to the gym and/or to phone the support worker? You could maybe do one first and then the other, depending on how you're feeling.

Let us know what happens,

SarahR
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I've been wanting to post a new thread for quite a few days now but I really don't know what to say other than I can't deal with this shit. It's like I know I'm fucking everything up but it's also like I don't care at all. I don't know if that's true because obviously wanting to post on here about it says something but guys... please help me

*hug*s I don't know what to say, but I honestly care about you so much and you will get through this. :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Hi Butterfly

How have you been? :heart: