Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you volunteer?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What type of volunteering do people do?

Comments

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    My first voluntary experience was when I was 14. My local library, had an initiative where they recruited teen volunteers every summer to assit with the annual Summee Reading Challenge ( for children). We had a range of tasks, which varied over the 3 summers I was a volunteer- encouraging children to read, talking to parents about the challenge, poster designing, decorating, helping out at various activities and creating book displays.

When I was 16, I volunteered in the stock room of my local charity shop, which involved sorting clothes, books etc out., preparing the clothes, rotating the stock, pricing stock etc.

As part of my prefer duty in 6th year of high school, I had to undertake a voluntary position in my local community. I throughly enjoyed, helping out as a classroom assistant in a special needs school. I loved working with the kids and I learnt a lot about adapting communication methods etc. (eg. Through using makaton) for those with special needs.

Also did some voluntary work with a first aid group.

Overall, I enjoyed volunteering in all my placements. I honestly don't know what I would be like now, without them. Confidence has always been an issue for me (still is) but it increased through my volunteering. I really enjoy helping other people! :)

That's just my experience, there are endless volunteer opportunities out there eg. fundraising, befriending, running groups/clubs with children, elderly etc.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for sharing your volunteering stories apandav, Ybe7 - sounds like you're looking for some inspiration?

Where have other people volunteered? Or where are you volunteering now? It would be cool to hear about what different people are doing, I reckon we have quite a few volunteers here on TheSite :yes:

I once did some volunteering at the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust helping out with promoting events for an afternoon a week in their office. I found it was a great change of scene and a way of meeting new people too and doing something outside of my comfort zone. I'd like to do more outside conservation-based volunteering too!
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I've been a Guide Leader previously, and have volunteered in some local politics and youth groups. Now I also volunteer here on TheSite!
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I volunteer for a charity that promotes friendships with children and young people with disabilities. I go to the bowling group every couple of Saturdays. I also volunteer for TheSite. :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Everyone here is so inspiring.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    I've volunteered in nurseries and pre-schools since I was 16 and I'm now 20 lol. Most of it however was for college as I' started on Entergy 3 level then level 1, level 2 and now level 3. For the first couple of years tho I stayed for all the half terms and this year I decided to have my half terms off to give myself chance to have a bake. I've always wanted to do some volunteering for the donna Louise hospices after my college did some fund raising and we went for a visit. Lovely place and I can remember it bringing me too tears as we got to see the things they do there
  • louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    I have done a lot of previous volunteering, including working at a shop for a year, selling donations and raising funds for over a year, leader at a drama club and lots of fundraising sales events. i currently work with one charitys doing stalls and will be going to schools, i work at the food bank, i help out with a local kids club and i still fundraise too x
  • louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    I have done a lot of previous volunteering, including working at a shop for a year, selling donations and raising funds for over a year, leader at a drama club and lots of fundraising sales events. i currently work with one charitys doing stalls and will be going to schools, i work at the food bank, i help out with a local kids club and i still fundraise too x
    Wow, so many volunteers here. Does anyone know any volunteering opportunities similar to Samaritans listening but which requires less commitment? That really interests me but at the moment I'm not able to commit over 18 hours per month which is what they ask for.
    I volunteered in schools on and off for three and a half years before getting a job in one of the schools late last year.

Volunteering for people can lead on to bigger and better things but a lot can be obtained through volunteering :)
    It's so great to see so many of you volunteering! I'm a volunteer myself here on TheSite :)
    Volunteering for people can lead on to bigger and better things but a lot can be obtained through volunteering :)

​I agree @AngelFace97 :yes:

@Ybe7 it's so great that you're inspired and keen to volunteer - you might like to have a look at Do-It and/or vInspired. You can enter your preferences and find volunteering opportunities that might suit you best. Organisations like ChildLine often have opportunities such as listening too.
    Are there any mental health charities that operate like a uni mental health society but in the wider community? For example raising awareness, campaigning and organising events such as tea and talk, stress relief etc. And also which recruits volunteers to help them run all this?
    Hey Ybe7,

There are quite a few mental health charities that offer volunteer opportunities - but here's a few if you're interested: Mind, SANE & YoungMinds :)

You can also search your specific preferences using the volunteer database links above :chin:
    raich wrote: »
    It's so great to see so many of you volunteering! I'm a volunteer myself here on TheSite :)

​I agree @AngelFace97 :yes:

@Ybe7 it's so great that you're inspired and keen to volunteer - you might like to have a look at Do-It and/or vInspired. You can enter your preferences and find volunteering opportunities that might suit you best. Organisations like ChildLine often have opportunities such as listening too.

Thank you Raich :)
    Thanks everyone. Is anyone volunteering over Christmas?