Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Experiences of Anti-Depressants

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
Hi,

Got prescribed 10mg Citalopram today for anxiety. I'm going back in 2 weeks for a review.

To be honest, I was a bit reluctant at first but I want to give it a shot! I've never been on any medication like this before.

Hence why I'm making this thread as I'm interested to know other people's experiences of Citalopram or just anti-depressants in general. Also, any additional information would be much appreciated!

I've read a few articles on the site about it and I understand that everyone reacts differently.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been on anti depressants for pain relief. (many drugs in general, have multiple uses) The side effects were horrible and I had to ask to come off them. I, unfortuantely, have serious issues in general with side effects.
    I've been on anti-depressants for both anxiety and depression. Everyone's different so it's hard to say what might happen. Personally, I recently came off them because I'm worried a pain I'm getting might be made worse by the anti-depressants plus after having the meds increased three times, I still didn't feel as though they were helping so I've just taken myself off them and although my GP thought that was a bad thing to do, he's going to reassess what medication I should be on this week.

There are loads of options and it's just about finding which one works for you. If you don't feel the citalopram is for you then that's fine, it could always be changed, do try and give it a good few weeks to really get in your system though if you want it to help. And seriously, if you decide you want to come off it, please don't do that by yourself because I remember one of my best friends doing that ages ago and he got SO much worse because he had just stopped. The side affects off it are worse than the ones on it I think - that's if you just suddenly stop it on your own of course. It can be done safely with your doctors input.
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Sorry to hear that they didn't work for you both- guess it just goes to show everyone is different!

Thanks for your advice butterfly :)

Todays my first day on citalopram so ill just have to wait and see how it goes..... I'm just a bit nervous as I've never taken anti-depressants before!

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    apandav wrote: »
    Hi,

Got prescribed 10mg Citalopram today for anxiety. I'm going back in 2 weeks for a review.

To be honest, I was a bit reluctant at first but I want to give it a shot! I've never been on any medication like this before.

Hence why I'm making this thread as I'm interested to know other people's experiences of Citalopram or just anti-depressants in general. Also, any additional information would be much appreciated!

I've read a few articles on the site about it and I understand that everyone reacts differently.

Hello there Apandav,

It's great to see you have really got involved with TheSite.org community. I've been on the medication you're currently on, but personally found it not to really help me, or any anti-depressant for that matter. But sadly with Anti-Depressants it's not like an instant change in how your feelings, and can take an awful lot of time trying other medication that might be beneficial or may not be. However getting of anti-depressants suddenly can leave you feeling more dreadful, than do you good.

It's great to see you are trying alternative ways of recovering, many people who do take anti-depressants do however struggle to recover alone, and having therapy along side it can add a bit extra support, remember you're not alone in this. If you do start getting any negative side effects, despite them being written on the medication, it's always worth bringing it up in next apps with your GP or psychiatric.

Some people who do take anti-depressants, including Citalopram, may have intensified feeling of suicide, however, this does tend to stay like in the early stages of taking the medication, you should always aim to regularly take it, as the medication starts working though, the feelings should slowly decrease.

You've most likely already seen it, or read it on the medication leaflet. - But the NHS website has an information based source on Citalopram Hydrobromide that I really encourage you check out and read as and when you have the time - http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Anxiety&medicine=citalopram%20hydrobromide

However, do keep us updated on how you're getting on Apandav, were here for you *hug*

Best wishes
    WhispersOfTheHeart
    Hi WhispersOfTheHeart,

Thanks for the info, I will take it on board!

The pharmacist had a short chat with me about- how i need to take it daily, effect takes time etc.

I've actually already been getting therapy, but still felt I was struggling. Although, I know it takes time and effort for CBT to help, I've lost a lot of motivation and due to my moods + other things that's why I went to the GP.

I've got another appointment in two weeks to review it and my GP says I can phone the surgery before if need be.

Had a good read of the NHS link. I noticed that it may interact with "Non- Sterodial Anti Inflammatories" which I know (from school) includes Ibuprofen. I don't regularly use painkillers but I sometimes use Ibuprofen(or Paracetamol) for minor ailments such as headaches. Does anyone know anything about this?..... I guess I could always just ask the pharmacist/GP (its not like I need it just now though).

Thanks WhispersOfTheHeart :) I will do!

• Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Have you come across Head Meds? It's a really good site for getting clear information on mental health medication. There's a page here on citalopram: http://www.headmeds.org.uk/medications/10-citalopram
    Danny! wrote: »
    Have you come across Head Meds? It's a really good site for getting clear information on mental health medication. There's a page here on citalopram: http://www.headmeds.org.uk/medications/10-citalopram

Very informative! Thanks Danny :)
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I took citalopram for 5 years. I had a few side effects such as fuzzy head and sex drive issues and I found it wasn't an instant booster to my mood; it took a while to get going and then when it did, I would still be a bit up and down.

It will take time, but keep going - and if Citalopram doesn't work for you, keep trying - there are other drugs out there.
    Thanks for sharing your experience Kate! :)

I will take your advice on board, just need to wait and see how I will react to it!
    Not sure if one of the listed side effects, is from my mediation or if it's me? I'm scared
    Might be worth checking with a doctor or pharmacist if you're worried
    Yeah, think I'll wait until I'm back at the GP next week. It's not a physical side effect, more emotional type.
    Sounds like a good idea.
    It can take around 6 weeks for the anti-depressants to get into your system properly, so it could just be side-effects whilst your body gets used to your drugs.
    Yeah, your probably right! Its my first time taking medication too so I just need to wait it out.
    Got my review for citralopram on Wednesday. I've been on it almost two weeks now, but I'm not really sure if it's made a difference or not.

Im very confused as to if it's helping or not- eg. Last night things were really bad but today, considering all the stress and worry from work I feel I've handled things better than I normally would. Like normally I get very worked up and although I worried a bit I didn't feel the "effects" of worrying, is that the medication working? I could say yes but I'm not sure as last night I was the complete opposite (don't even want to elabourate it was that bad).

What I'm saying is I don't know if it's just my ups and downs or not (as I normally would have).

It's really hard to explain.

I'm just weary that it's my appointment on Wednesday and I'm guessing I'll be asked if it's helping me. But I'm not sure. Is two weeks too early to say?

The pharmacist said to me it can take two weeks or longer to show an effect so what's the point in getting a review after only two weeks?

I'm not sure what to say..... I don't know!
    I think you're right in that it probably is too early to tell. The doctor will be wanting to meet with you to check you aren't having any bad side effects, or the medication isn't making you a whole lot worse.

I wouldn't worry too much about the appointment; your doctor won't be expecting you are completely cured etc but will want to just check how you're getting on.
    Thanks kate, that makes sense!
    I'm with Kate here. Give it at least another two weeks and see how you get on :) good luck with the appointment - let us know how you get on.
    The 2 weeks might be more to check how you're doing with regards to the side effects.
    Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Will see how it goes tomorrow and give an update!
    I am just wondering has anyone experienced sleep issues with citalopram?

I've been taking citalopram for about 3 months now, but 2 weeks ago I got my dosage upped from 20mg to 30mg.

I've been struggling to get to sleep and when I wake up really early, I can't get back to sleep. I know when I have a lot on my mind, it's hard to sleep, but this is different. It's like I'm too hyper to sleep- like I feel like I don't need sleep at night and want to stay up all night (when I say want, I do want to sleep but at the time I don't although I'm tierd- it's hard to explain). And for example, I woke up early this morning and I can't get back to sleep now. I feel very restless, and I feel my heart beating fast normally- like feeling hyper (but not in a nice way).

It might just be a coincidence that this has started after having my dose upped, but I just wondered if it could be a side effect?
    Hey apandav,

I've noticed you posted this a few days ago. Are you still experiencing the sleep problems?

If you are, or if you have any worries or concerns about the medicine, it might be worth discussing it with your GP or pharmacist - they should be able to advise you on what you can do :)
    raich wrote: »
    Hey apandav,

I've noticed you posted this a few days ago. Are you still experiencing the sleep problems?

If you are, or if you have any worries or concerns about the medicine, it might be worth discussing it with your GP or pharmacist - they should be able to advise you on what you can do :)

Think my sleep issues have improved in the sense that I can get to sleep. But I'm now struggling with another issue, I keep waking up. I'll wake up like 2 hours after going to sleep, feeling like it's almost time to get up, then I realise it's not been that long after looking at the clock. I'm not sure if that's just because the part few days have been tough (due to a major change). I'm seeing my GP for a review next week, so I'll see how things go.