Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any Tips for Textbook Reading?

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
edited March 27 in Work & Study
For one of my classes at uni, we get a slideshow (which they use in lecture) and recommended reading from the textbook.

Now the slideshows are pretty straightforward and easy to follow, but the reading is stressing me out - 20 big pages of tiny writing. I'm getting stressed as I already have 3 chapters to read. Plus I'm a bit of a slow reader too :( it will take me hours upon hours just to read the textbook alone. Now call my lazy, but this is one subject.

Also it will be a lot of information at once, it would take me even longer to make notes from it- honestly I feel it would take me days (which I don't have) to go through it all properly. I'm starting to get stressed out!
Any tips for textbook reading?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    :( shit at skim reading and being concise. I just end up reading things aloud and not taking anything in. Hence there is no point!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In pencil in the textbook, or on a photocopy, skim it and underline/highlight the important bits, and make notes in the margins of your comments about the thing. Then you can come back to it later (maybe when you're revising from exams) and make proper notes or study guides from the quotes you've underlined and your margin comments.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, from both of you!

It is helpful, sorry for seeming ungrateful, I was just uptight! Will take all advice on board!
  • Options
    To add to what grace said, some people use sticky notes and stick them in their textbook. I used to skim read and just took notes.

plugitin mentioned breaks - I was told something about every hour, take 10 minutes break. Even if it's just getting a glass of water or something.
  • Options
    That's has reminded me. I used sticky notes when I was studying my advanced highers- forgot about that! I'm a bit reluctant to write on book as hoping to keep it in good condition. The uni bookshop says they can give me credits towards new books if I return it after. (Might be hard, as apparently we use this textbook for both first and second year.

I must admit, sometimes I skip breaks or don't have that often.
  • Options
    Maybe set an alarm to remind you to take breaks? I tend to get rather absorbed into something and forget to take breaks.