Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do you think this tatoo says about living with depression?

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
A lady in the USA who has depression recently published pictures of her really clever tattoo (see the Daily Mail article here).

For someone standing in front of her, the tattoo on her leg appears to say ‘I’m fine’. But when she looks down at it, it reads ‘save me’. For her, this difference helps show what it’s like to live with depression. She says ‘it means that others see this person that seems okay, but, in reality, is not okay at all. It reminds me that people who may appear happy, may be at battle with themselves.

Here it is:

v5U4ffm.jpg

For her, it sounds like there's quite a big difference between how she tries to appear to others and her private feelings.

Is something you have seen or experienced in your own life?

Comments

• Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Very clever concept I think- makes sense, I like the idea! Different methods work for different people, and if it works for her - then why not!

Recently, I've experienced that a lot. Despite feeling down, I've been purposely putting on an act- especially around my parents! They still haven't caught on. Personally, if I'm feeling very down or upset, I stand in front of a mirror before I speak to my parents. If I've been crying I try to hide that. I also change my body language and smile, to make it look like I'm happy!

Also, my friends were shocked to find out my struggles, as they told me they "thought things were going brilliant for me" - in reality they weren't. This really surprised me, but it just goes to show- people aren't always how they seem. Who knows the most happiest looking, bubbliest people - may not be as happy as they seem.

A couple of years ago I saw an advert inside the bus, portraying this message. I can't remember what it said exactly. Basically, it said a message in bold that the person seemed happy (from a friends perspective) ,then in smaller writing it had a message saying " if you can read between the lines then you could save a life".
  • Options
    Just researched the advert- turns out it was part of a campaign called "Read Between the Lines" - portraying the important message that people may not always be as happy as they seem.

Here's a link to it if anyone's interested (MAY BE TRIGGERING FOR SOME PEOPLE):

http://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/content/social-care/health/mental-wellbeing-folder/read-between-the-lines---suicide-prevention-campaign.en
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I've definitely been in this situation. At college a lot of people were very shocked and concerned when it came out that this super happy person wasn't quite as happy as they thought.

I'm quite a private person so I don't open up to many people so I don't think a lot of people now realise or understand exactly how I feel. I find trying to explain frustrating because so many people just don't understand and I prefer to go along with I'm fine. There are some friends I used to have that have probably saved my life countless times by dragging me out to the pub or somewhere because of what I was planning to do otherwise.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Some really valuable insights there guys, thanks for sharing :)

It sounds as if both of you sometimes come across more as happy than you're really feeling and can really identify with that difference between public appearance and private thoughts/emotions.

Apandav, for you it seems like that's more of a deliberate choice, especially around your parents. I wonder if you have any thoughts about why you tend to do this? Nice find by the way - that's a clever campaign!

plugitin, you seem to suggest that you do the same with friends generally because you don't think many of them will actually understand. Is that right? It sounds like your experience at college may have had something to do with that. Since then, have you found anyone who you felt comfortable opening up to?
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Not really James. I've tried with quite a few of my friends/girlfriend and it's either pity and makes them upset or blank not understanding. So I suppose it's not "thinking" they don't understand, but "knowing"
  • Options
    James wrote: »
    Some really valuable insights there guys, thanks for sharing :)

It sounds as if both of you sometimes come across more as happy than you're really feeling and can really identify with that difference between public appearance and private thoughts/emotions.

Apandav, for you it seems like that's more of a deliberate choice, especially around your parents. I wonder if you have any thoughts about why you tend to do this? Nice find by the way - that's a clever campaign!

plugitin, you seem to suggest that you do the same with friends generally because you don't think many of them will actually understand. Is that right? It sounds like your experience at college may have had something to do with that. Since then, have you found anyone who you felt comfortable opening up to?

James, yes but I believe I have good reason not to tell them. Based on incidents from the past (this isn't the place to go into details though). I know why I do it, for one reason, that incident where mum called me names! I can't trust her now.....