Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What to wear on first day of uni?

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
Hi,

So I'm starting university in a few weeks..... I'm just wondering what sort of thing do people wear to university in general?

Also what do most people tend to wear on the first day?

I really don't want to turn up as the odd one out, especially on my first day! I'm studying biomedical science by the way!

Comments

• HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    I'm going to turn up in jeans, trainers, (underwear of course), a top and a hoodie.
    Turn up in whatever you feel comfortable in, it doesn't matter what others think. If you have an enrolment day before you start properly, ask one of the lecturers/tutors whether you have to wear something specific.
    Hope it helps! :)

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Awesome :) thanks

Yeah will probably end up going casual with jeans, top and converse.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    wear whats your comfortable in :) there will be many people there with many different styles ... everyone will be different :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    I'm just so nervous and worried about being judged at uni :( I want to make friends and fit in!

I don't really have a style, I normally wear casual on a daily basis - jeans, converse etc. but I can dress up more if I'm in the mood or going somewhere special - like a dress or a skirt. I wear my make up very natural and minimal normally but I will put more on for a night out.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    apandav wrote: »
    I'm just so nervous and worried about being judged at uni :( I want to make friends and fit in!

I don't really have a style, I normally wear casual on a daily basis - jeans, converse etc. but I can dress up more if I'm in the mood or going somewhere special - like a dress or a skirt. I wear my make up very natural and minimal normally but I will put more on for a night out.

That sounds like the majority of other people. Don't stress yourself over your appearance or fitting in, enjoy your time. You'll add to possible stress of your studies otherwise!
    apandav wrote: »

Wear your favourite clothes to be totally comfortable, but look smart because I believe first impressions count. :)
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've decided I will probably go for the casual-smart but not too casual look for first day! Think I'll treat myself to a nice, smart top to wear with skinny jeans (probably black) and some flats. I'm not going to wear anything I wouldn't wear outwith uni as I need to be me :)

I think it depends on the culture of the school you go to but most people wear very casual clothes unless they have to give a presentation or participate in a formal activity.
    Okay thank you!
    Good advice :)
    I put loads of effort into my clothes for ~3 weeks when I started uni and was first meeting people, and then went back to my usual jeans and jumpers. I wore a red jacket with embroidered dragons on for quite a while because I'm quite shy and wanted a reason for people to notice me.

Don't worry about fitting in though. The good thing about uni is that you *will* be able to find people who like the same weird stuff that you do and you will fit in with them. Also biomed is quite a big course (at least here?) so there will be all kinds of people wearing all kinds of things and you will be fine.
    Thanks for sharing grace :)
    grace wrote: »
    Don't worry about fitting in though. The good thing about uni is that you *will* be able to find people who like the same weird stuff that you do and you will fit in with them.

Hey Amanda, this is exactly what happened so well for me when having to visit uni to collect new stuff and attend lectures since the course was affiliated with the uni. I was able to meet now peeps who were just like me. It is understandable you'll be nervouse, but so will many more. You won't be alone. Okay? :)

Just wanted to update this thread. At freshers week I've mostly been wearing jeans and top (quite casual), apart from one day I wore a casual kinda summery skirt as I was also going to a night event. Overall, most people have been dressing very casual.

I've already ironed all my outfits for next week. I'm planning just to wear jeans every day, sometime days tops with a cardigan, other days a jumper. For shoes- planning on wearing either my converse or flat slip on shoes (dolly shoes think they are called?), depending on my outfit. Generally, I'm dressing casual but choosing my best tops etc.

I actually bought myself a backpack this year. Quite like it - leather one from new look! I normally go for a shoulder bag but thought that would be more practical for heavy uni books :p

Everyone's different though, guess it is really just wearing what your comfortable with.

I'm trying to care less about what people think of me- if they judge you on what you wear or look like, they aren't worth your time. Anyway, everyone I've met so far seems lovely - everyone talks to everyone (honestly didn't believe this before but so far seems true).
    Sounds really positive apandav and good call on the backpack for uni books! Glad to hear people are being friendly too, love this approach:
    if they judge you on what you wear or look like, they aren't worth your time.

:yes:

Hehe, as a woman i always try to look good, especially in the first day. Doesnt matter which first day of something. I always search for my own best clothes, then i ask my Mother and some friends if they can borrow me something nice looking for a few days. And since a few years i buy one time a year a Cardigan from http://us.escada.com/cardigan and from other similiar Well-Known Brands. I love that type of clothes, but they just too expensive to wear them all the time in Uni/School/Work. That means i dont walk all the time with that expensive Escada and Gucci-Stuff. Its just to show my new studi mates, that i am able to be a Beauty princess if i want. You know what i mean? After a week i change my clothes to normal Streetstyle/Womanstyle. The next time my mates will see me dressed up like in the first week of Uni, is at a party or prom or any other events, you know?

Greetz
    Hann wrote: »
    I'm going to turn up in jeans, trainers, (underwear of course), a top and a hoodie.
    Turn up in whatever you feel comfortable in, it doesn't matter what others think. If you have an enrolment day before you start properly, ask one of the lecturers/tutors whether you have to wear something specific.
    Hope it helps! :)

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
    Nice,I agree with you.