Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Difficulty going to the doctors after experience of sexual violence?

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
body3.jpg

Someone in the office came across a BBC article about a new STI clinic that's opening up in East London designed specially for women who have experienced sexual violence. The idea came from the fact that it can often be pretty hard for people who've been victims of sexual violence to undergo physical examinations/treatments (things like cervical screening for example).

The clinic will work pretty differently to most GP surgeries and hospitals:
Women will able to control how they would like their appointment to proceed, from where they would like the clinicians to stand and what positions they feel most comfortable in to what music and clothing they would prefer. There will also be cake, tea, aromatherapy and massages to relax patients before and after their appointments.

Patients will also be able to use self-testing kits to detect STIs, Ms Amara believes it's about survivors reclaiming control of their bodies. "It's about caring for yourself and the fact you are important," she added.

For now, there's just one of these places, but should there be more clinics like this? Do you think it's a good idea - do you think it'll help?

If you do, take a look at the project behind the new clinic: My Body Back (again, just London-based for now)

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I think it's a really great idea and there definitely should be more places like this, especially if there is a tie in with counselling/victim support services if that is what the individual wants; that wouldn't work for everyone but if they could also work closely together it would no doubt be a good partnership and very encouraging for women to get the tests that they need but may otherwise put off. (I mean smears are traumatic enough, without having been sexually assaulted!).
  • Options
    ShatteredSecretsShatteredSecrets Posts: 186 Helping Hand
    Oh my. That's wonderful. I think it would be a good idea to roll them out nationally and should offer them to younger girls too. It can happen to anyone at any age.

(I'm getting older now and dread the day I'm sent a letter to have one. Must say I've decided I'm never having one and will hope for the best purely bc it triggers bad memories.)

I am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's a brilliant idea. This is something I've been thinking about recently as I am approaching the age of having screenings, still a whole year left for me yet! I have had conversations with friends about me never ever attending one as I can't even go to the dentist out of fear never mind having a smear test!
    But if there was a place like this it would make the decision to go a lot easier.