Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

psychiatrist?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sad. I've seen a couple therapists for the last couple of years. I know how to cope, but I can't seem to do it. Maybe I'm just lazy and unmotivated to change?

I've been on Effexor so long that my GP continues the refills. I haven't seen a psychiatrist in a long time.

Perhaps I should. Maybe I need different medication, or something else is wrong.

I'm happy and giddy for a day or two. I feel normal. Then I'm sad. There is no reason. I try to be happy, but I hate myself. I binge eat and feel worse.
It isn't like crazy mood swings. Happy and sad, but not manic and suicidal.

Should I see a psychiatrist in the hopes of finding new medication? I don't know what else a therapist or psychologist can do/say that I haven't already heard.

Maybe I just lack any type of motivation... even motivation to be happy.

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello Bedtime Bear,

Warm welcomes to TheSite.org message boards. Adorable choice of user name, personally used to adore care bears! Such a variety of bears! Recovery is one of the hardest things anyone will have to do, it requires a hell of a lot of effort and motivation, which I can only imagine would be more difficult when also battling a mental illness. To recover you need not only to want it, but also the motivation that surrounds it, which sure as hell is difficult, long process. What tactics have you been taught to use while trying to cope? - An old therapist of mine really got me into Mindfulness, and aspects of Mindfulness, but despite finding it beneficial closer to the end, I lacked the will power and motivation to actually engage with it during the key stages. - Which, if I were to go back would do it all over again.

You've taken the steps you need to, to starts the process of recovery off, so it sounds as though you really do want to get better, Looking at alternatives is also a good start, are you in therapy alongside medication, or? - If not, rather than getting a re-peat next time, you could book in for a GP appt and consider alternative options, including changes in medication, do you feel able to talk to GP?

Bedtime Bear, it's a hard, shitteh process getting better. And even when you do, you will have low days, hyper days, and all that m'larky. Keep us updated on how you're doing, and getting on, were always here to offer you a listening ear!

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you very much @WhispersOfTheHeart. I'm glad you like the care bears. Nostalgia is always nice :)

My history with mental health is long. I started medication at 12 when I had "behavioral issues" and went into therapy. I've been on various meds and in various types of therapy since. I've never been happy but I've been coping for years. I just want to be happy. I have nothing to be sad about, but I can't get happy.

I stopped my last bout of therapy about 6 months ago. I wasn't getting much out of it. I feel like it takes a lot of effort to be happy and I just don't have the motivation to be happy. I wish laziness was a disorder lol.

I have just had too much beer. I don't know what to say.
    Thank you very much @WhispersOfTheHeart. I'm glad you like the care bears. Nostalgia is always nice :)

My history with mental health is long. I started medication at 12 when I had "behavioral issues" and went into therapy. I've been on various meds and in various types of therapy since. I've never been happy but I've been coping for years. I just want to be happy. I have nothing to be sad about, but I can't get happy.

I stopped my last bout of therapy about 6 months ago. I wasn't getting much out of it. I feel like it takes a lot of effort to be happy and I just don't have the motivation to be happy. I wish laziness was a disorder lol.

I have just had too much beer. I don't know what to say.
    Welcome to The Ste.Org, BedtimeBear. Lovely name. :)

I feel your doctor needs to check your progress rather than keep dishing out prescriptions. When was the last time you saw your him? Effexor can cause mood swings and it might lost its effectiveness since you have been taking it for so long. However, only your GP should decide about this drug and advise you accordingly.