Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Therapy Ending Soon...

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
As you may already know, I've been having cognitive behavioural therapy with a CPN. I had my fifth session today and only have one session left. I'm having a hard time coming round to the fact that it will all be over in two weeks time.

I think it will be tough going it alone. Don't feel ready to stop therapy soon, I feel I still have a long way to go. My therapist always tells me that CBT will give me life long skills to take away. So basically she teaches me these methods but I need to take them on board after therapy. It's down to me, I know that! But it doesn't feel enough to just be taught these skills and left to defend yourself!

When I feel like I've had a tough time, I know that after therapy she makes me more positive and it can really turn things around for me.

I tend to struggle between two weekly sessions as it is.

I think I will miss having therapy to be honest, it's great being able to open up to someone who will not judge you. They are supportive in a professional way yet you feel since you don't know them personally it's less pressure. I have had issues opening up to even my therapist but a lot of things I feel I could never tell anyone in my personal life.

I am so worried about coping after therapy. I don't know how I'll do it on my own. I know they will probably keep me on antidepressants for the next while or so ( obviously it varies for individuals but the GP said normally it's 1 year to 18 months, I've been taking them for about 6 weeks now). Still the antidepressants aren't there forever, they aren't a fix. As I've been told they are just they can only take you so far, it is the CBT that can be life changing!

I've had setbacks but I'm trying my best with the CBT. I'd say it is helping but I feel there is a long way ahead. I'm scared of this journey. I feel alone, I feel like my therapist is the only one I can open up to. Three close friends know a tiny bit about my struggles but I've not even been 100% truthful to them, I can't tell them all my issues like I say to my therapist (I've kept things to bare minimum). I can't tell my family. Who can I confide in now, once she's gone? I do understand that she wouldn't be there forever but I don't feel ready to do this alone. She keeps telling me I can do it, but I'm struggling to find the strength.

Comments

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Hey notagain :wave:

Thanks for understanding :heart: I know but it's the truth, needs to be said! I guess so :(

I know the GPs always an option, it's not the same though - they only spend a limited time chatting to you and can only really keep prescribing me medication.

Yeah, I know I should see it that way! It's hard though :(

Thank you :) my therapist always tells me I will do it and she thinks I'm strong and making progress! Honestly I do not see it that way though.

Thank you so much for replying *hug* s
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey! <3

I wonder how you've been doing lately?

Branching off from therapist is not easy and how you're feeling is 100% normal. In time, using the techniques you've learned in therapy in your every day life, you may find that new doors will begin to open for you. :) And as Notagainvitelina says, we are always here if you need to vent out.

*hug*
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Hi nix :) thanks for the reply.

Things have been up and down. The weekend wasn't great at all but the past two days things have been much better - anxiety and mood wise.

Thanks for understanding, I'm still very scared. Think I will feel it more after my last session. Thank you *hug*