Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Had a bad day – what can a partner do to make you feel better when you get home?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We all have them – everyone gets a case of the Mondays, sometimes the Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays too! :grump: But what sorts of things do you expect from a partner, to help make you feel better? :chin:

Perhaps you think that having a bad day is your biz and it's your lookout to make yourself feel better – it's not anyone else's job? Or maybe you think that by having a partner around – they should be able to pull something out of the bag to help turn your frown upside down? If that's the case, what sorts of things do you expect, want, or have had done for you in the past when you've had a crappy day?

Could be that your bf or gf made you your favourite dinner, bought you some chocco :yum:, or let you have the remote so you can binge watch whatever you want?

Or is simply having a hug; a brew and a sympathetic ear for a 5minute rant all you need to feel better? This is definitely the one that works for me. It never fails! ;)

Have you ever had a bad day, and found that your partner didn't know how you make you feel smiley again? How did this make you feel?

It'd be awesome if you could let us know what your thoughts/opinions are. Feel free to share; there is no right or wrong answer! :)

Comments

• One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    I would say simply letting them have a rant about whats gone on and a supporting hug to let them know everythings ok.

I know I usually like a rant a bit of alone time and the occasional little bit of something stronger he he he not alot tho I don't think alcohol should be a way out of anything but one never hurt.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I like a rant, one that's not interupted with suggestions on how to solve the problem.

I also find that if I've had a bad day, it's generally been a really busy one, and I've forgotten to have a drink all day - so a pint of squash makes a big difference.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I'd like them to pretend they understand my job and why the issue that happened is a problem, for there to be chocolate and them to cook dinner.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Offer me a cuppa and leave me alone, will do me the world!! I recall that's how me and my Ex often sorted out confrontation or when either of us had a bad day :P Or listen to each other rant!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I remember the times when I came home to find my partner had made me a cuppa tea and sat to listen to my naggy old day most helpful. To have a meal cooked is absolutely wonderful, but I was the chief cook so made no biggy about rustling up some nosh, then sit and have a TV dinner with my hoofies up on her lap. And the dog sat in-between. :rolleyes:
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    I like a rant, one that's not interupted with suggestions on how to solve the problem.

It looks like listening is a common theme in everyone's response. Listening without trying to solve the problem can be really difficult. I know a lot of people (incuding me sometimes!) struggle with that. In my experience, a lot of people don't realise how much good they can do my listening, and then feel like they're not being helpful if they can't make suggestions.

Would you tell a partner how you'd like to be supported, or do you think they should know what to do and offer good support (without interruption, for example)?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Danny! wrote: »

Would you tell a partner how you'd like to be supported, or do you think they should know what to do and offer good support (without interruption, for example)?

Good question - has anyone ever prompted their boyfriend/girlfriend?