Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finally told my parents

Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
After all this time struggling alone, on friday i finally gained the courage to tell my parents that i think i may have depression and also asked them if they could book me a doctors appointment....... i was going to ask them but i was too scared that the words just wouldnt come out of my mouth and i would just cry so instead i wrote a note to my parents and before going to bed i threw the note on my mums lap and then went to bed straight away as i didn't want to see her read the note and her reaction, she came upstairs to bed while i was struggling to sleep and she said i am fully behind you on this,i am your mum and i love you, it felt like a massive weight off my shoulders.

She has now booked me a doctors appointment and i have decided that i want my cousin to go with me as there is still something i haven't told her which is that i self harm but i have told my cousin everything, my mum is still really supportive and she said it is up to me who i want to go to the doctors with.

I would just like to tell other people who are struggling alone to just tell someone, it is so hard but once you have got over that hurdle you will feel a relief even if you just write a note like i did or tell a relative, a parent or friend......just tell anyone because at the end of the day we are all human and we can't go through this battle alone.

I hope this helps at least one person.
''You were in the wilderness
Looking for your own purpose
Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Seriously, huge well done. You've proved your bravery to everyone including yourself I hope. Telling someone is extremely hard and your actions are admirable.
  • Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    Thank you Notagainvitelina and butterfly123, it was certainly so hard, i wrote this post to tell people the once you have gotten over that first barrier of telling someone then you feel relieved.

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well done jpeople and good luck with the next stage. It's lovely to hear how supportive your mum was when you told her and also how you wrote a note as that was easier than saying it out loud. Really inspiring :yes:
    Thank you, im off to the doctors on Monday so i will tell you all how i get on

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Well done jpeople :) very brave!

Hope your appointment goes well!
    Went to the doctors today and it was very scary and i was so nervous and waiting in the waiting room for over 25 minutes made me feel worse and by the time i got called in i walked into the room crying but i shouldnt of been so nervous, my doctor was very understanding when i told him my situation and how im feeling, he gave me three options anti depressants or anti depressants and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) or just cognitive behavioural therapy by its self and i chose the last option, my gp said if it doesn't work then i have got to go back and see him and discuss the possibility of taking medication.

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Well done for taking the next step!

I understand that you must have already been apprehensive about the appointment itself, never mind the waiting! But at the end of the day you did it and should be proud of yourself :)

Good luck for the CBT, I really hope things are going well!

Stay strong :heart:

Sending *hug* s