Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Very Hyper- Is it me or the Citalopram?

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
That's me been taking Citalopram for 4 weeks now (10mg for first 2 weeks and 20mg for the past 2 weeks).

Had a really bad week with low mood 2 weeks ago. Then last week things were generally better- less anxious, sleeping better, mood was a bit iffy at some points but not as bad as the previous week.

Now this week, I've been feeling great, really happy and ecstatic. Probably too happy though. Honestly I've been so hyper the past week, I'm wondering if it's the citalopram starting to take effect.

What I mean by hyper is: like I get a burst of energy (adrenaline rush) feel like I can't sit still and literally sometimes I start jumping around the house to try and get rid of all this energy. My heart gets really fast but not due to anxiety, but hyperness. Like right now my heart is so fast, my hands feel shaky. Also, this is really embarrassing to admit, but I started binge eating. Like buying sweets from the shop and stuffing my face. I do it even when I'm full and feel sick. Dont normally eat sweets etc. on a regular basis (mum doesn't tend to buy them). I'm actually disgusted by myself and I can tell I've put on weight in just a few days. Also, like last night, I just had the urge to run outside in the rain (in middle of night) but I never as didn't want parents to wake up. I was feeling very spontaneous. Also I feel really spontaneous right now, I want to just jump on a train, go somewhere far I don't know (without telling anyone, despite being due in to work tomorrow). I don't think I will do it, but my thoughts are getting intense and last night I started making plans.

As much as it's great being in a good mood, I'm getting a bit concerned by my behaviour. I don't know if it's just me, but I'm thinking could it be the citalopram (antidepressant) starting to take effect?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there,

Have you heard of the site HeadMeds? There's some excellent info there about citalopram and possible side effects, it's worth reading through: http://www.headmeds.org.uk/medications/10-citalopram/warning_and_side_effects

It says that if you experience changes in your heart rate or your behaviour changes in that you feel very happy or over excited then you should see your GP. You mentioned that your behaviour is concerning you too so letting the GP know sounds like a good move.

What do you think?

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Hi,

Had a read through the headmeds website.

Yeah I think I should at least mention it to my doctor. I've got an appointment a week on Friday so I'll see how things go and tell her then.

It might just be me, but I guess it's better to be open with the professionals (which I sometimes struggle with, I just get nervous about saying certain things)!

Thanks for the reply.
    Honestly I feel really weird right now. I was dead hyper not long, my heart still feels really fast. But I feel like a sudden sadness, like everything's slowed down. Umm I can't explain this. I'm actually so confused, I've always got the vibe that there is something weird about me. It makes sense but I'm so confused. I'm so frustrated I can't explain, there's so much to it, plus I don't even understand myself at the moment. Anxiety, moods...... Eugh
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey apandav.

I am on citalopram, 20mg and also 10mg. Slowly reducing down. But I wanted to post and say I sometimes feel the same. Hyper and really happy.

Just wanted to post to let you know that your not alone with what you feeling.

Something that I have found to help me when I feel really hyper is doing a task, or doing something to focus on. Usually calms me down.

Sending you *hug*s :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Hey *BananaMonkey*

I'm glad I'm not alone.

Thanks for the reply, it's reassuring. :)
    So far I seem calm this morning :)
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    apandav wrote: »
    Hey *BananaMonkey*

I'm glad I'm not alone.

Thanks for the reply, it's reassuring. :)

Anytime. Feel free to drop me a PM if you wanna chat more. Sending you *hug*s
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "

Anytime. Feel free to drop me a PM if you wanna chat more. Sending you *hug*s

Thanks *hug*