Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

And so it begins....

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Now convince my son. Why should he believe them and not the alternative view, what is it that makes them [as an individual source] any more credible?

Before I give the wrong impression, I believe that the holocaust happened, based on probability and available evidence. That doesn't mean that it did happen and I will not close my mind to the possibility that it didn't...

MoK,

Have you ever met anyone who wears a tattooed number on their forearm?

I have. I don't need to be related to them. I don't need to see pictures or other evidence. The evidence has stood before my eyes.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Have you ever met anyone who wears a tattooed number on their forearm?

I have. I don't need to be related to them. I don't need to see pictures or other evidence. The evidence has stood before my eyes.

Give me a minute and I'll pop down the nearest Tattoo parlour and get one, because that's how easy it is...

I'm really not trying to belittle anyone here, and believe me Jack when I say that I have the utmost respect for your grandparents and I would like to think that if you judge me on my other posts in other threads you would find that my character to be a good one.

What I am trying to show is that a counter argument can be put forward against any of our preconcieved ideas of what happened in the past. This, as you say Jack, will become more important as the years progress and I will need to ensure that my son (now eight) gets what I believe to be the correct version of history. The history we teach should not be vetted by other people, and to be honest cannot, much of it is word of mouth and tales of family history and this is not something over which the EU (or any other organisation) can have control.

People will believe their relatives and it will make no difference to the Afghans of Palestinians what you write in a history book, if the stories they get from their family counter that.