Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help with how to reclaim overpaid tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I worked at tesco for 6 month but in my first month salary I was taxed £130 which I was told would be returned to me by my manager but I wasn't even in april when its supposed to be . I earn below 10k per month and i was in full time education and only 18 so I should not be taxed meaning they have to return my overpaid tax. Later I was told online to send my P45 and payslip to h&m revenue but its been over 2 months no reply from them. Can someone please help me Ive had this problem for 6 months can someone please help. Ive heard there is a number but I cannot find it.

I was told this is a great place to get help

Kind Regards

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Firstly: the tax threshold is below 10k a year not a month

Next: students and those under 18 can still be taxed.

Finally: tax is not held by the company it's always paid directly to HMRC

Here's a website with all the info about tax rebates: https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/overview
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your tax liability is based on what you earn, not how old you are. You are still liable for income tax and national insurance even if you are under the age of 18.

If you earned less than £10,000 a year you will not owe tax, but you may still owe National Insurance contributions. If you believe you have overpaid tax, probably because your employer did not know your tax code, you need to talk to HMRC. Use the link Miss Riot gave you.