Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mr Don't Vote - do you take him seriously?

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Do you, or anyone you know look to Mr Brand for politics advice?

[video]http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/04/russell-brand-changes-mind-about-voting-and-urges-support-for-labour[/video]

And are you registered? ;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Registered and will be voting
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I'll be voting.
    My colleague is a great fan of Russel Brand and consequently won't be voting.
    Quite frankly, I find the notion of as many people as possible not voting absurd and couldn't imagine it would lead to any form of change.
    If you don't vote, I don't think you can be allowed to complain.
    I listened to a podcast with him and Scroob not so long ago and they talked a lot about this. Being fair to him, not voting in a system you think is shit isn't completely illogical. Refusing to participate in a system you dislike makes some level of sense, especially if you're complaining about the way we vote as opposed to the actual people/parties in power. I do agree with Kate though - if you don't vote out of ignorance, I struggle to understand why you complain.

Having said that, however, I would rather vote for the best possible option (even if they're all sub par and the system is shit). Registered & voting.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    plugitin wrote: »
    I'll be voting.
    My colleague is a great fan of Russel Brand and consequently won't be voting.
    Quite frankly, I find the notion of as many people as possible not voting absurd and couldn't imagine it would lead to any form of change.
    If you don't vote, I don't think you can be allowed to complain.

What does your colleague say now that Brand is touting the view that people should be voting Labour?

Here's another take on voting, from Mr Owen Jones http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/may/05/no-normal-election-dont-let-your-voice-be-taken-away-owen-jones :)
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    **helen** wrote: »
    What does your colleague say now that Brand is touting the view that people should be voting Labour?

Here's another take on voting, from Mr Owen Jones http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/may/05/no-normal-election-dont-let-your-voice-be-taken-away-owen-jones :)
    I'm not in work so I can't ask her, but she's just posted on Facebook that she voted - so I'm guessing she changed her mind too!
    If anyone hasn't, they should watch Charlie Brooker's Election Wipe (or whatever is was called) from BBC 2 last night. The woman who impersonates Brand is brilliant.
    He wasn't really supporting Labour or the system. He was supporting time and was hoping with the little bit of fake power that we think we have, that we might have been able to buy ourselves a bit more time by voting for the slightly lesser evil head of the same evil body. I've long since stopped bothering with BBC or basically any mainstream media, they don't support Russell because Russell supports us.
    My comment is still accurate going by Russell's own words since that article.