Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The best piece of advice you've been given

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

The closing round question in chat tonight was what's the best piece of advice you feel you've ever been given?

There's no right or wrong - so no answer is a silly answer :heart:

I could give loads of answers to this question but I'll go with something an old worker said - everything happens for a reason, even if that's just to make us stronger and better people. I realise that particular quote isn't advice as such, but it did stem from advice, and I think it'll always stick with me because it's probably true - experience gives you something unique and I know I'm the person I am today, partly because of everything I have experienced myself. I guess this quote often reminds me that I can't dismiss the fact that, because of certain things, I probably am stronger and better in some ways.

Over to you lovely lot if you don't mind sharing :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There have been so many good pieces of advice I've received in the past, but it's fair to say the bulk have come from here. I found myself trying to support a lot of people in the past rather than the other way around, and one lot of wise words I never did forget came from our fearless leader ;)
    **helen** wrote: »
    Chances are people are often more capable than we give them credit for and the temptation to jump to the rescue can be really strong.
    Myth #6 It's not enough to help people, I need to save them.

You need to get good at making other people's problems your problems. It's not enough to listen to a challenge someone is facing; you need to take it upon yourself to solve it.

It's not enough to support someone. You need to save them. Don't worry about boundaries. Make it personal. Own it fully.

TRUTH: You need not, and should not, rob people of their problems.
    "Don't spend you're life trying to live for someone else, someone who has passed, You weren't them, You can't spend you're life trying to correct everything that was wrong in their life, Spend you're life doing what you want to do, what will make you happy, because after all they want you to be you, thats what would make the proud"
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    I just watched this and wanted to leave it here...

[just a heads up, the video contains lots of strong language!]
    Andy wrote: »
    I just watched this and wanted to leave it here...

[just a heads up, the video contains lots of strong language!]

Hahahahahahahahaha, oh my gosh. What a dude. Strong message nonetheless!