Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Summoned to Court

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been summoned to give evidence against my partner in April, but I really do not wish to give evidence and don't want to go. Does any one know the steps I would be required to take to prevent having to go to court? What are the likely consequences if I failed to appear and refused to appear is summoned again?

Comments

• Options
    Hi there and thanks for your post.
    It must feel quite daunting having to go to court - although I don't know the specific circumstances.
    Whowhere has explained the practical consequences so I won't repeat that.
    The Witness Service may be able to give you further support with this - whether or not you decide to give evidence. Have a look at their website for more information - http://www.victimsupportsco.org.uk/page/witness/advice.cfm
    Let us know if you have any further queries
    :)
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    you're in Scotland, so the rules may be slightly different. However, you need to contact your local witness care unit immediately. You can then request to withdraw your testimony. However, the fact that it has progressed to court means they are probably going to be unlikely to comply with your request.

Whatever happens, you have been summoned to appear. If you don't go you can be arrested and charged with contempt of court.

I agree with whowhere