Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's it Like When you First Joined TheSite?

GregGreg Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
Hey Everyone, :wave:

20140108153922-newguy.png?1389224362

Whether you have been on TheSite for 2 years or 2 days, you all probably had a wide range of emotions when you first joined.

Some people were happy, excited, nervous or overwhelmed.

Let's hear all of your experiences of what it was like for you to join TheSite :hyper:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I remember I was super nervous but at the same time I was relieved to be talking about things with people that didn't know me at all because I could go into more detail and also people couldn't worry so much about me being in the situation I was in because they didn't know too much about it or they didn't know me enough to really worry.

It was scary though and sometimes felt really exhausting despite the fact I wanted to talk but I remember receiving a PM from another member not long after I posted and she helped an incredible amount with making me feel more at ease and it was so helpful to hear about her own experiences. If it wasn't for her I doubt I would have allowed myself to become so involved with TheSite in the first place.
  • GregGreg Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Yeah I agree with you that it can be a little scary at first but it was great that you got support from another member so quickly after you posted. I was wondering if you had any thoughts about how we can make sure that people won't be scared or nervous when they first join?

I am sure many other people had similar stories about joining that I'd love to hear about!
    Greg wrote: »
    I was wondering if you had any thoughts about how we can make sure that people won't be scared or nervous when they first join?

Honestly my initial thought is that there are more than enough things set up on TheSite that would help to put people at ease - there is SO much information and everyone is so welcoming when a newbie introduces themselves. I really don't think there's much more you guys could do. It depends an awful lot on the individual themselves and how much they're willing to read/say etc.

Having said that, I think a thread like this would help if you could make it more highlighted/permanent? It can be overwhelming when you see how close and how open the regular members are so as a newbie, it would be really nice to read their experiences of being a newbie themselves because it just goes to show that we were all in exactly the same boat at one stage - it might help them to realise there's really nothing to be afraid of or nervous about.
    I came through from Childline and I knew a few people from their boards had come over here so I guess I was lucky in a way. Have to admit though, I really hated TS boards to start with. I'm not sure why but I really didn't like them. Same for chat, I didn't feel comfortable.

But now I love TS. Great support network and has opened a wide range of opportunities for me!
    I found this site about two days ago (I think?) and jumped into the chat room without really thinking xD Now that I have my facts straight and made my account for the boards, I already feel like part of the greater community. There are lovely people around to talk to and I've actually managed to help someone on chat!

Feeling great about this place so thanks guys *hug*
    I joined originally (under a different name) back in 2002, through the online connexions advice service. I was really overjoyed to find somewhere I could talk. Back in that day there was a little bit of flaming but that's long been stamped out from what I see!
    Er I found ts some time ago maybe 2011 at first used chat sometimes but didn't like it to much as I found it scary and isolating..... joined the boards in 2013 and I come and go really not part of the main community but I like ts for some things and not for others I guess that's the honest truth.
    rosebud wrote: »
    not part of the main community

Yes you most certainly are rosebud and you're liked/valued here just as much as other members :heart:
    hi! i am new here. Part of me is nervous, but almost whole of me is excited! excited to meet friends! :)
    hi! i am new here. Part of me is nervous, but almost whole of me is excited! excited to meet friends! :)

Hey there SomethingINeed,

Welcome to TheSite boards! :d
    Yes you most certainly are rosebud and you're liked/valued here just as much as other members :heart:
    Thanks butterfly but we all know I'm not. Sorry
    Honestly my initial thought is that there are more than enough things set up on TheSite that would help to put people at ease - there is SO much information and everyone is so welcoming when a newbie introduces themselves. I really don't think there's much more you guys could do. It depends an awful lot on the individual themselves and how much they're willing to read/say etc.

Agreed. Whatever website you join, it is scary at first. It doesn't matter what other members or any of the site team do - it will be, imo, scary.
    Also agreed. This is precisely the reason I stayed. The fact that there's so many people here with experience in just about everything is fantastic. All the better to have people so willing to help one and other, too. When I first joined I was pretty overwhelmed by the amount of people willing to support each other, and also just in how much depth

I guess, one thing to say, would be that when I first got here I found it a little bit cliquey. But that's probably a given when you join any sort of forum or online community, I think. People are going to know each other and have their friendship groups. Perhaps that's what separates peer support from other services. It didn't make me feel any less welcome, that's for sure. :)