Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do I help my ex?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My ex wants to get back with me after our 4 month split and he has wanted to get back with me since two weeks after we split up. I didn't want to return to the relationship as it wasn't a helpful relationship and he could be quite controlling but I agreed to be his friend. We then stopped talking for about a month. He then contacted me hoping again that we could reconcile and I still don't want to return to the relationship and I have moved on. He then harmed himself following being turned down. This was when I realized he had been self harming for a while and was noticeably depressed, I want to help him as a friend, since I suffer with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I know how it feels. He has said he doesn't need help but his state of mind is getting worse, is there anything anyone can suggest?

Comments

• Options
    He needs to get help from his GP, if he hasn't done so already.
  • Options
    He hasn't done so, he refuses to get help as he is raised by a family that strongly believes that the men are weak if they are diagnosed with a mental health illness. He also has past bad experiences with social services and worries that they will get involved somehow if he tries to speak to a professional.
  • Options
    He can only really get help when he's ready - I think for now it's just about making sure he knows that you are there for him, as a friend, if he ever wants/needs to talk, vent, cry, etc. He isn't at all weak, coping daily with a mental illness is incredibly hard work and to be able to do that shows nothing but strength - keep trying to reassure him of that. Do you have anyone looking out for you in regards to this? Supporting someone with a mental illness can be seriously hard work in itself so please do make sure you keep chatting to someone about how you're feeling personally, whether that's a friend or even us *hug*
  • Options
    Thank you so much, this is very helpful. Yes I know it is hard to live with mental health illnesses, sadly I too have suffered with them for 4 years now but I am getting by and I like to try to help others as best as I can. I will reassure him that I am here for him anytime as a friend and I will support him the best that I can. I don't have anyone helping me but I will talk to people on here often when I need to. If worst comes to worst I could talk to my youth support worker and get her support. I don't like seeing others suffering, especially knowing how it feels so I always do my best to help out. Thank you so much :)
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear you have the option of talking to your youth support worker if needs be. TheSite has an article about supporting someone with a mental health problem which might be worth a look - http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/supporting-others/supporting-someone-with-a-mental-health-problem-6250.html

You're clearly being an amazing friend to this person - I imagine he really appreciates you :)