Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aimed (mainly) toward guys: jealousy in a relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A lot of the time jealousy is seen as a bad feature of a relationship. But, personally, I think to a certain point jealousy is healthy as it shows how much you care about your partner. It's one of those uncontrollable reactions that reminds you how much you love them. Likewise for the opposite way around - it's nice to know that feeling's reciprocated.

What do people think? Guys in particular - I think it's fair to say jealousy is a little different for either gender (not more or less, just different). All opinions appreciated, though. :)

Comments

• Options
    Jealousy is not about showing that you care. Jealousy is about low self-esteem and wanting to control another person.
  • Options
    Jealousy is not about showing that you care. Jealousy is about low self-esteem and wanting to control another person.

Notice I said: to a certain point. :) I'm talking more about the little moments. Does what you said cover the whole spectrum, for you?
  • Options
    I think trust shows love better than jealousy. Some people apparently think that if you are not jealous then you don't care about what your partner does, which I think is bollocks. I am of the opinion that you can't stop someone from cheating by controlling them. They either have the intention or they don't, and the intention alone is usually enough to doom the relationship. Of course this is ideally speaking. I am human too and do get jealous, but I don't think there is much positive about that.

Jealousy for me is setting yourself on fire and then feeling loved when your partner douses you. You feel an "up", but only because you let yourself be down before.
  • Options
    Hmmm. What about, say, being a little jealous yet still trusting them completely?
  • Options
    Jealousy is a very negative emotion. It's about being upset that someone is going out without you, or getting attention from other people, or spending time with friends who you may think are "better" than you. Jealousy is very much about low self-esteem, about feeling inadequate or insecure. It's not about showing you care about someone. Jealousy is about you, not them.

Yes, it is possible to feel jealous whilst also trusting that person not to do anything. And yes, everyone feels jealous about something sometimes, we're all human. But it isn't a positive emotion, it doesn't show your love for someone.
  • Options
    True, true... thanks. :)
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    I just wanted to add a slightly different perspective (I'm aware I might be thinking of different manifestations of jealousy to the other guys):

Jealousy is a very common feeling. At it's worst it can do great damage to a person and their relationship. But at the other end of the spectrum, it can be a cute, harmless thing that you share. I think most (all?) "negative emotions" have a "positive" flipside if you can use it (which doesn't mean they're not painful too).

Consider for example that your partner is spending a lot of time working closely with an attractive person of the sex they are attracted to. Many people would find this difficult in some way. This could be the case even if you're certain that your partner would never do anything wrong, i.e. you trust them completely. This may be partly because there are a lot of grey areas monogamy - I think we tend to accept at some level that we can be attracted to people other than our partner.

If this was hurting you all the time, or you made unreasonable demands of your partner because of it, then it could be very damaging. But if your reaction was light-hearted, your partner might well take it as flattering, assure you where their real feelings are, and you'd both feel a little bit closer.

A recent study showed that partners were more likely to be jealous of their partner's friends if they:

(a) considered their romantic relationships more important to their lives, (b) were less close to their own friends, and (c) perceived their partner was less committed to the relationship.

I think those things might hold in general, so jealousy is a mixture of how you feel about your partner (you'd be less likely to be jealous of your casual date seeing someone else), how you feel about yourself, and how you think they feel about you. So those little bits, dealt with in certain ways, can also provide a good opportunity to establish how you each feel about each other.
  • Options
    Danny! wrote: »
    I just wanted to add a slightly different perspective (I'm aware I might be thinking of different manifestations of jealousy to the other guys):

Jealousy is a very common feeling. At it's worst it can do great damage to a person and their relationship. But at the other end of the spectrum, it can be a cute, harmless thing that you share. I think most (all?) "negative emotions" have a "positive" flipside if you can use it (which doesn't mean they're not painful too).

Consider for example that your partner is spending a lot of time working closely with an attractive person of the sex they are attracted to. Many people would find this difficult in some way. This could be the case even if you're certain that your partner would never do anything wrong, i.e. you trust them completely. This may be partly because there are a lot of grey areas monogamy - I think we tend to accept at some level that we can be attracted to people other than our partner.

If this was hurting you all the time, or you made unreasonable demands of your partner because of it, then it could be very damaging. But if your reaction was light-hearted, your partner might well take it as flattering, assure you where their real feelings are, and you'd both feel a little bit closer.

A recent study showed that partners were more likely to be jealous of their partner's friends if they:

(a) considered their romantic relationships more important to their lives, (b) were less close to their own friends, and (c) perceived their partner was less committed to the relationship.

I think those things might hold in general, so jealousy is a mixture of how you feel about your partner (you'd be less likely to be jealous of your casual date seeing someone else), how you feel about yourself, and how you think they feel about you. So those little bits, dealt with in certain ways, can also provide a good opportunity to establish how you each feel about each other.

This is what I was getting at. :) The bit of jealousy that nobody can help - as you all said, we all feel jealous sometimes. The non-harmful jealous. Thanks Danny!
  • Options
    Danny! wrote: »
    Consider for example that your partner is spending a lot of time working closely with an attractive person of the sex they are attracted to. Many people would find this difficult in some way. This could be the case even if you're certain that your partner would never do anything wrong...

If this was hurting you all the time, or you made unreasonable demands of your partner because of it, then it could be very damaging. But if your reaction was light-hearted, your partner might well take it as flattering, assure you where their real feelings are, and you'd both feel a little bit closer

Everyone feels jealous sometimes, we're human, and having enough insight to recognise the feeling is important. Everyone feels jealous now and then and jealousy doesn't mean you have to lock your partner up in the shed to stop them seeing anyone but you.

Sometimes if your partner is jealous it can make you feel wanted, too.

But really jealousy is not about your partner, it's about you. It's about not feeling good enough. As you say, jealousy is more common where you're insecure or frightened. I don't see how a bit of jealousy can be seen as "healthy" in a relationship, because it's the opposite of trust and security. But there are more positive ways of dealing with it- being honest about the feeling, exposing your insecurity to them, will not damage your relationship in the slightest.

Everyone feels it sometimes.
  • Options
    I think it's fair to say that jealousy can happen to boys and girls but mainly u would link jeaulous of being insecure, feeling paranoid and being too controlling. I do think sometimes jealousy can be a good thing to learn a bit more about urself and how u react to certain situations to caring about the person and telling them u can't live without them if they were seen with another guy or girl. The average percent of people who get all over protective over their parents are in fact the guys who do as not once have I know myself a girl to get jeaulous in a situation which is most common in a club and chatting to someone and flirting a little and the guy getting jeaulous. You see that happening all the time so guys in that sense can be jeaulous where as girls can be jeaulous if say her bf meets up with is good friend who is a girl and get wound up that something is going on. Guys don't seem to not have too much of a problem in that sense only if they were in a club with other people and someone chatted up their gf. What guy wouldn't be jeaulous lol. You have to in someway trust the person so that it can't stop ur relationship from breaking down. If trust isn't there then what's the point in carrying on with it. Takes two to tango.