Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Has technology really taken over?

So I came across this and thought I would post it here

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/this-is-one-of-the-most-vital-messages-gen-y-needs-to-hear-video/

What do we think?!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I was thinking of posting a thread about this. I am so glad that you have posted a thread about it :)

I think the video is quite eye opening, and has defo made me change the way I am in a way. I have started to turn my phone and laptop off for periods throughout the days, and actually go outside and talk to people. I guess one way the online world is good cos it helps us stay in contact with friends and family who are long distance, like my best friend who lives in Florida. But then on the other side it is all people do nowadays, even children know how to work iphones and ipads, at such a young age. I guess it's the way of life now.

I know this video has been given lots of mixed responses on youtube. I guess it depends on the individual really. Some people may not be into technology as much as say somebody else.

The world we live in now is very much about technology. Which is a shame. Like the video shows at the end, how once you stop looking at your phone or computer, things can happen. Like the precious life moments.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I completely agree with this video. In a way, technology and social media have killed communication.

I was with my friend yesterday and after we watched a football match on TV, we went to a pub for some dinner and he wouldn't speak much due to being on his phone all the time. Just felt annoying.
    Even when I met that girl I liked a lot of times, she would always be on Facebook or WhatsApp at times when we were at the cinema or having a meal, and I wonder how different it would be if I was the 'only' person she could talk to. Her situation would normally be loads of boys talking to her at an instant online and it provides such a distraction.

I feel because of Facebook in particular, there's so much choice on who to talk to at any given time and because it's not physical, it's easier to move away from other conversations without notifying anyone.

Oh, and online dating is the absolute worst. No physical contact means the less successful people don't get a chance to talk being online, they don't have to. You're not being made to talk, whereas physical you can't escape a conversation without looking like an ***hole. So the online concept eliminates the chance of getting to know someone because there's so many people that judge a book by the cover, rather than what's inside.

I agree with what he says about doing something productive. Something I've aimed to do each day for a very long time, that's why I love running in particular because you can just switch yourself off from the 'online world' and focus on yourself and some music. And also appreciate what's physically around you, like the natural surroundings.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Powerful video.
  • Options
    I completely agree with the video.

I do admit that I'm in my phone a lot but mostly it's to keep in contact with people, like I wouldn't spend all day checking social media news feeds or whatever.

If I'm with my sister we both make sure to put our phones on silent and away from us so that we actually get the time together properly and not just half hearted. Same goes for if I'm out with my family somewhere, unless I'm sat down waiting and I'm bored.

Also, I hate it that people are bringing their kids up with IPads. My ex used to let the children play on his all of the time and whenever my ex was out and I was baking with the kids for example, the little boy would get bored and ask to go on the IPad. That's not right, children are supposed to love baking.

What's your opinion rachy?
  • Options
    I've just watched it and all i can say is i totally agree! I had a internet/laptop/phone break this week while on DofE and it was amazing cause i didnt have to worry and took so much in and had proper conversations. I think he is right by we dont take enough in when on our phones or laptops or ipads of whatever however at the same time it sometimes is a good thing... like I struggle to talk face to face so online helps me. And i still spend a lot of time outside and with friends f2f, i guess its more about getting the balance right...?
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    This video has been all over Facebook, I think I've seen at least 30ish people repost it :P But I would be surprised if this thread was the first time people had seen it :P
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I think that there is too much staring at phones yes - my girlfriend is really bad for it and it annoys me. People definitely split their attention over things happening simultaneously and it can ruin time together. Then again like others have said, it's great for keeping in touch. Kids and iPads do annoy me too! Be kids and go play outside!
  • Options
    I have been moaned at because I don't check my phone / have it switched on 24/7. Is it so wrong that I don't want to be contacted all the time? He knows where I live and has my home number too.

He also has this habit of phoning his ex whilst in company of others. I personally find this rude. I try to avoid this, or if I have to really do it, I excuse myself and go somewhere quiet.
  • Options
    Just saw that Samaritans are doing a Phone Free Friday campaign on the 20th June - seems to be along the same lines. They say:
    Ever freaked out when you left your house without your mobile? And, felt slightly panicky wondering just what you’re going to do with yourself all day? And, when you woke up today, was your mobile the first thing you checked? ‘Fess up. The fact is 84% of us* say we can’t go for a day without our phones.

I reckon a day without my phone sounds quite appealing! Anyone else seen this or thinking of taking part?
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Just saw that Samaritans are doing a Phone Free Friday campaign on the 20th June.

I reckon a day without my phone sounds quite appealing! Anyone else seen this or thinking of taking part?

I'm definitely going to take part in this. Friday is probably one of the better days too because I'll have my nephew.