Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I can't cope with change

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am having lots of different appointments at the hospital and I really don't like change. I have just about got comfortable with my physio, psychologist, occupational therapist and consultants and its nice not having to explain everything again when I go. My physio saw me lots when I was in hospital and now I am seeing her as an outpatient. She has also seen my SH so knows about that and she has spoken to my psychologist and I have just about got comfortable with that. I have now been referred to the community physio and even though I know who she is as she saw me after my stroke a year ago she has told me today that I need to make up my mind and see just one physio. I can understand why as it is hard when you have conflicting advice but I don't know which one to choose as I like both and want to see both. I don't know what to do and I don't know why but this has really upset me :(. I had to explain everything again today and it is so hard when I don't even know what has caused this. I hate how my life is at the moment and feel so low all the time

Comments

• Options
    Big hugs for my LC *hug*

You say that you rely on the appointments with your hospital physio worker and your psychologist because they know about the self harm and you can talk to them about it, but you feel that it's bad to rely on them.

How do you think you would feel if you didn't have to worry and talk about the self harm with the community physio? It may be good that you could just focus on the physio exercises but you would still have your psychologist to talk about other things with.

It's completely up to you but just know that whatever your decision, you will be okay.

We're here for you lovely. You'll get through this :heart:
  • Options
    No that makes sense. I don't talk about it with my physio at the hospital but I don't feel I have to hide it as much as she wants me in shorts and tshirt so she can see my muscles better. Its just one less thing I have to worry about if she knows. I guess she may tell the other physio as she is going to call to get handover from her. I just feel there are so many phone calls at the moment going on about me and I know they just want to help but I feel like I am loosing control of whats going on again
  • Options
    You are completely in control of this situation. No phone calls like that can be made without your consent.

What do you actually want? If you could choose how this whole situation was, how would it be?
  • Options
    I want to be fine and have no appointments at all and have a normal life but know realistically that isn't the case. I want to feel better and just get on with the appointments. The physio I saw today makes much more sense as it is a lot closer to home that I have to go but it is the same hospital as my psychology appointments so I feel like I live there as going 3 or 4 times a week
  • Options
    *hug*

I think maybe deep down you know what you think you should do.

All of these appointments are to help you get better, it'll be worth it eventually.

Take your time, you don't have to decide here and now.
  • Options
    Ok so today didn't go quite as planned and my psychologist was worried about the escalation of my self harm so phoned my GP and said I had to have an appointment today so I went to my GP straight after my psychology appointment. They have decided that I need to go on medication so I am starting on a dose of anti-depressants. My only worry is that they have said that sometimes it can get worse before it gets better. I don't think I could cope with anything getting worse and I am scared as to what I might do and what might happen. But on a plus side I told my mum that I was seeing the GP and why so she knows how much I am struggling and that I am on medication. She did ask me if I was cutting again and I said no so I haven't been able to tell her the whole truth. Right now I feel so drained after my appointments and the GP was asking lots of questions which I didn't like. Got to see them again in 2 weeks for a review...not really sure how to feel right now.
  • Options
    :heart:

We're here for you, my brave LC :)

Take a look at these, they have some useful things about coping and trying to be more positive:
    http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/anxietyandstress/copingwithstress

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/wellbeing/lookingafteryourself/beingpositive
  • Options
    Thank you :) I will go and have a look. I just need to try and stay positive and not get to the stage where I want to give up completely
  • Options
    I'll try not to let that happen lovely :)

Just so you know, if you want to know more about the certain tablets you're taking now you can post on the boards about it. A lot of people may have had the same tablets and they can tell you about their experience on them. You probably already know this but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

:heart:
  • Options
    I'm writing this as a distraction technique but tonight I am really really struggling. I have been told by my psychologist to try and organise things to do and in particular to do so of an evening when I know I feel at my saddest. So today I was so busy with hockey as I captain a team even though I can't play and tonight we went down the clubhouse well 4 of us in the team did as we had to man bar. We had a really good evening and ordered in pizza and I had a good laugh. But my front that I am normally really good at putting up and pretending everything is fine just isn't working. Today people picked up on my mood and realised is was low and struggling. I hate this and hate that my weakness is showing to others. It feels like I am trapped in my feelings and something is stopping me from enjoying things. Hockey used to be the one thing in my life which I could use as an escape and I loved it. Now I find that even effort to organise and now my mood and sadness is affecting that too I feel like giving up. My depression impacts every second of my life and I feel I can't get away from it. So even tonight when I did arrange something all evening I still end up feeling as low as I do now. I hate myself for letting myself be like this. I wish there was a way to change and more I could do :(. I feel I am getting nowhere and find each week even harder. What is the point as someone even said to me "well all the shit does seem to happen to you Lauren". It always does and even though I feel I deserve everything I have been through as everything happens for a reason right. I feel so weak and pathetic right now and hate the fact that I show emotion through crying. I need to just get on with my life but I can't :( sorry for my long ranty post
  • Options
    I didn't know you felt that bad lovely, I wouldn't have gone to sleep :(

Stop saying sorry missy! You're allowed to rant and we're here to listen.

You are NOT weak! You're strong, and you're brave. Look and what's happened and you've got through it all. I know you don't like people saying this but I'm going to say it anyway.. you will get through this again! You've got so many people that care about you.

Nobody should have said 'all the shit happens to you' and you do not deserve anything that happens. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, so you're very strong. All this stuff has made you who you are today and you're so lovely and inspirational. Remember that.

I hope you're feeling a bit better today.. I'm here *hug*
    I love my LC :heart:
  • Options
    And as far as the 'everything happens for a reason' thing...

Don't take that to mean it happens for a 'karmatic' reason, see it as some sort of training to prepare you for the future. Life is just a set of lessons.

I'll offer a hug too if you want one from me and I hope that you're feeling stronger now.
  • Options
    I feel drained and so close to giving up completely. It has been pointed out by 2 different people and one of them being my psychologist that they don't think I want to change. I really do but we worked out in today's session that a part of me feels that I deserve to be feeling like this as much as I hate it.

I don't know what more I can do. The harming is getting worse and my thoughts are getting more out of control and worse. I don't know what I am going to do. I wish I could curl up in a ball in a dark place and never wake up. My life is like it is because of decisions that I made....I wish I could unmake these. I hate what I am doing to my family and pushing my friends away.
  • Options
    Your life is like this because of the decisions you have made? No. You didn't choose to have what happened happen to you, and you didn't choose to feel the way you feel. And clearly you realise that you don't want to feel like this. You're brave, strong, amazing and I wish I could make everything better for you. Please don't give up. Xxxxx
  • Options
    I do feel responsible for what has happened and that I deserve to be feeling how I feel now. I'm really sorry. nobody deserves to be friends with me as I am a complete waste in society
  • Options
    Well I 100 percent disagree with you.
    You're an amazing friend who I care a lot about so don't think I'm ever going to let you deal with this on your own. You're never getting rid of me.
    I'll give you a bit of thinking time because I can see you're not feeling great but you know I'm here if you need me.
    Love you LC :heart:
  • Options
    Your amazing! I am sorry for being so negative and feeling like this. i am unbelievably scared for Thursday but was told that I need to not think about it as there is nothing I can do to change the outcome and I will learn to live with whatever decision they make. These tablets are meant to be working. I think I have hit the worse before they get better stage!
  • Options
    Stop saying sorry, you don't ever have to apologise for the way you're feeling. You've got a lot going on.

I know the thought of Thursday is scaring you but I agree, you will be okay. You will learn to live with the outcome eventually and you will find other things that you love. I know you don't want to hear that and you don't believe it but I thought it was worth mentioning again. You're a lot stronger than you think.

Soon the side affect of the tablets will ware off and hopefully you'll be your crazy amazing self most of the time :)
  • Options
    I am trying so so hard but it just doesn't seem to be making any difference. I feel so trapped at the moment and don't know a way out
  • Options
    There is a way out and you will find it!

I know how hard you're trying and it is making a difference, I think you're so low that you can't see it..

Remember the other day when you actually ran in hockey? Yes you wore yourself out but there was a time when you couldn't have even tried running.. you don't see that because instead you thought I ran and it wore me out so I'm not getting better. But you are getting better because you felt like running and you tried. And last night? You did amazing! And I'm so proud of you! Lovely, you are getting better slowly and you will eventually get there.
  • Options
    I ran at training and I shouldn't have so today at training it was awful and my mood was so bad and I was taking it out on people. I know physically I am getting better which does make me happy. I feel so selfish as know there are people out there worse than me and don't have the choices I do with my life so when I consider giving up completely I feel like the worst person alive. I just wish I could stop feeling like this and I could make it all stop
  • Options
    :( I don't know what to say LC. I wish I could stop you from feeling like this, and I don't want you to consider giving up completely. I will point out that you are NOT selfish! The tablets should start helping soon... big hugs my lovely girl
  • Options
    Okay so I haven't posted about myself for a bit and feel pretty down and trapped tonight so I thought I would write down how I feel on here for a distraction. I had a really good day yesterday but still ended up cutting when I woke up in the middle of the night from a flashback. These are relatively new but are very real and are a combination of when I was abused when I was younger as well as from when I was suffering the paralysis from my stroke. At the moment there seem to be reminders of both and how I feel everywhere I go. I think I am going to see the man who did this to me everywhere and am constantly reminded of my stroke from the weakness I suffer down my left side and how it impacts my day to day life. I feel I have been going downhill lately and my psychologist is worried that I am going to do something more drastic and by that she means attempt to take my own life and because of this she has spoken to my GP and now they are only giving me 3 days of my medication at once. This is such a pain as it means I have to keep going to the pharmacy. Admittedly I can see where they are coming from as my thoughts about ending my life are becoming more real and I feel I am getting closer and closer to this point. I know I have a safe place where I can talk and I can talk on here but sometimes I just don't know what to do. I feel like I am loosing the person I used to be more and more each day and feel there is no way to get the old Lauren back. Sometimes I really feel like I can't go on like this anymore and I don't know what to do.
  • Options
    Firstly I'm sorry I haven't been around much today..

Secondly, I'm proud of you! Well done for writing about all of that on here! Remember not long ago you only just started talking to me about it? The fact you were able to write on here is such a great step to take!

I know how it feels and I know that I keep repeating myself and I know that this must seem impossible as this is all still fairly new to you but it will get easier. I'm not saying it will eventually go away and you'll never think about it again because I'm sorry to say that's not true but you will learn to live with this and the flashbacks and the memories will lessen and eventually you won't feel so down about it. The fact that you have realised you haven't dealt with this properly yet and that you have started talking more about it is a good first step to take and again I say I'm proud of you.

Is this why you are feeling down and trapped tonight? What else are you doing for distractions tonight?

I am glad that your gp is only giving you 3 days worth of tablets at a time if you're feeling like you're getting to the point of wanting to end your life. I can't have me bestest doing that can I? A lot of people care about you.. please remember that. Big hugs *hug*
  • Options
    Thank you lovely. I never really know exactly why I am down but right now I don't feel I have the energy to do anything. Why do even good days turn out bad. Tonight I think I will be okay as so tried I don't think I have the energy to do anything or to cut. I just don't know a way out which is why I feel so trapped. I scare myself and hate how I've ended up. I ache everywhere and M struggling to think straight. The last thing I want to do right now is spend the whole day at hockey pretending to everyone that I am fine and my usual self.
  • Options
    I'm sorry it turned out rubbish tonight but remember, today, the positives have outdone the negatives okay? So that's 1-0 to the positives so try and focus on the good stuff.

I'm not happy about the fact you have no energy, but I am happy that you don't feel like hurting yourself tonight. Again, well done on not hurting yourself because I think that's progress too!

Anyway, something nice to wake up to in the morning as I know you've gone to bed :)

You are my kind, funny, caring, crazy (in a good way) bestest who I love lots and lots (even more than jelly tots remember?) You are inspirational, you are strong and you are brave and I will keep saying this until you start believing it and even after! Don't give up, you'll get there. Keep looking at those little card things because I repeat every word is true! Keep looking at that thing and remember its meaning, I'm here, as are the boards when you need to rant. I do care about you. Loves and hugs.
  • Options
    Thank you butterfly :) . I really struggle to see the postives sometimes. Like today I have been at hockey all day and stupidly decided to play on pitch for 5-10 minutes. It seemed like a good idea at the time but really isn't now. Plus side is I love my new stick but wish I had listened to my body and not played.