Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why is polygamy illegal?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ive only ever heard of one remote tribe that practices polyandry, It seems polygyny is a lot more common. If it was true polygamy and you could have huge extended families where they were all married to each other, it would not be to my taste, I dont think I could handle it, but not particularly morally wrong in my opinion. Unfortunatly most societys where polygamy is accepted, it is only the man whos allowed more than one partner.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Ive only ever heard of one remote tribe that practices polyandry, It seems polygyny is a lot more common.

I agree that polygyny seems to be the more common phenomenon. I certainly didn't know of any polyandries until recently -- reference Greenhat's comments a few pages back. :)
  • Options
    rainbow brite - firing blanks(41)

If the hubby is ill/barren she can resign herself to the condition of her husband and look him or she can terminate her relationship, obtain a divorce (which she would legally be entitled to) and re-marry; polyandry is not allowed.

It is very difficult to find incidents of polyandry practised by women if one searches throughout human history. Reasons include:

*Paternity issues; each child is entitled to know his lineage (Liz Hurley recently had problems).
    *Socially, it is true of almost of all cultures in the past and present that the role of leadership is taken by the male-the breadwinner. There would be competition / violence between them.
    *Psychologically, women take a view of sex which is often more tied to the emotional side than physical; thus her feelings tend to concentrate more on one subject therefore women are by nature more monogamous than men are, that is, normal, virtuous women who have no inclination towards promiscuity.
  • Options
    Re: rainbow brite - firing blanks(41)
    Originally posted by Aisha
    If the hubby is ill/barren she can resign herself to the condition of her husband and look him or she can terminate her relationship, obtain a divorce (which she would legally be entitled to) and re-marry; polyandry is not allowed.

thought as much, It should be the same for the man in my opinion, he should either resign himself to childlessness If he really loves his wife, or should divorce her and start afresh. If the woman had the same rights as a man, to have more than one partner, id see it as fair (albeit distateful).

As to the virtuous women statement, do you really believe that?
  • Options
    Because no one competent has bothered challenge it, might end up standing to rational basis scrutiny but nothing beyond that. (Constitutional challenge thresholds).
  • Options
    This thread is ten years old :o
This discussion has been closed.