Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Clothes going bobbly

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wasn't sure where to put this, please feel free to move it if needs be mods!

Okay so I got a pair of trackies from Jack Wills... I've worn them 3/4 times, and washed them once. They're going really bobbly already, and I'm a bit gutted as they were quite expensive!

Is there anything I can do to stop them getting worse? They're starting to look manky and I've only had them a couple of weeks :( Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Going to pop this into Home, Law and Money as it's sort of a homey question ;)

I get this though, I bought an expensive hoodie and it went bobbly after 2 washes.. took it back, got a new one and it did the same - would love to hear any tips people have to prevent it!

EDIT: Style and Appearance!
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Going to pop this into Home, Law and Money as it's sort of a homey question ;)

Hehe thanks Jo, I had no idea where to put it!
  • Options
    I avoid putting fleecy/woolly things in the dryer and that seems to do it. And don't wash on high temps. Or maybe I've just been lucky, I think a lot of it comes down to quality of the material.
  • Options
    Do you have/use a wool wash setting?
  • Options
    Wash on a low temperature and invest in one of those battery operated de-bobblers
  • Options
    Washing with fabric conditioner that's suitable for use with wools and synthetics. Like AR said, one of those de-bobblers is helpful as is putting anything wooly on a wool or delicates wash. It's the agitation from friction between the fabric - which is why is seems to happen under the arms and between legs first. Even shortening or lowering the speed (if you can) on your spin cycle can help.
  • Options
    It's more to do with what the fabric is made from rather than its quality. Some fibres are buggers for it.

You can also shave off bobbles with a normal razor (very carefully - skim the surface without pressing down), you don't necessarily need a special device.
  • Options
    Washing inside out I believe can help too.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! :) They aren't wool, they're 75% cotton and 25% elastane (or something?) would it still be best to wash them on a wool cycle?
    I always do washing on 30 or my mum goes mental, so high tempareture isn't a problem :)

Kaff I'm a bit wary to try the razor thing, think I'll practise on some old wooly tights or something first :razz:
  • Options
    id take them back and get my money back

Goes to show that you dont always get what you pay for
  • Options
    id take them back and get my money back

Goes to show that you dont always get what you pay for

I would but I really really like them and my dad got them for me when I was in Nottingham as a birthday present. He doesn't have much money but because he can't come and see me on my birthday he let me pick something. I'd feel horrible taking them back! Just going to have to keep de-bobbling I guess!!
  • Options
    Yeah, you have to be quite careful not to nick the actual fabric, and some backwards-sellotape-round-hand needed to lift off the resulting loose bobbles, but it can work a treat!
  • Options
    Or try taking them back for an exchange