Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How many of you would prefer a complete vegetarian diet?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How many of you would prefer a complete vegetarian diet? Share whether you are a Veggie or non veggie?

Comments

• Options
    I've been vegetarian most of my life. But I can see benefits of eating meat/sea food now. The main benefit is that meat/sea food provides certain vitamins and minerals and a vegetarian diet cannot provide. For example B12 (lamb is an excellent source of this). But I'm not sure if this completely outweighs the negatives of eating meat/seafood...

What do you think?
  • Options
    id prefer a varied balanced diet using all the food groups
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    id prefer a varied balanced diet using all the food groups

This.

..and I like to eat all things that taste good. This includes meat.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I can't and never will understand how anyone can live without eating meat.....
  • Options
    I would like a diet that gives me the most nutrition and flavour for the least excess calories and least cost. Meat is pretty nutritious and flavoursome and often isn't terribly expensive. It does have excess calories but compared to doughnuts which I also enjoy (guilty pleasure :/) it's nothing I'm going to beat myself up over.
  • Options
    Never eaten meat in my life, and been vegan for yeeaaars... nearly 6 I think. I have no problem with other people eating meat or whatever, as long as they don't try and force it on me, that really annoys me.
    I'd never force my diet on anyone else, I don't see why people thinks it's okay to say to a veggie/vegan "oh go on, try it." and shove it in their face...
  • Options
    whilst I'm not vegetarian, I don't eat much meat and could easily cut it out my meals completely. What I would find harder, if I went vegetarian (it's something I think about every so often) would be the hidden bits in food such as sweets, alcoholic drinks or whatever. I'd find cutting those out hard.
  • Options
    As long as it's balanced I would. I did for a year or so, but I eat meat now occasionally again, because it's just too good to pass up :(
  • Options
    I am mainly a vegetarian but i have some white meat
    occasionally. I think eating meat is wrong and i feel that
    vegeterians appreciate animals more. xxx
  • Options
    I wish I had the discipline to be a vegetarian, but it just so happens some of my favourite food happens to be meat products.
  • Options
    angelk01 wrote: »
    I am mainly a vegetarian but i have some white meat
    occasionally. I think eating meat is wrong and i feel that

How can you "mainly" be a vegetarian. You either are or are not one, you eat white meat so are not

All I say is, bring on the meat, I don't mind veggies or vegans except when they take the all mighty I am better than you condescending high road and talk to me like Im crap for liking meet.
  • Options
    angelk01 wrote: »
    I think eating meat is wrong and i feel that

I'm sorry but how do vegetarians appreciate animals more? I have a deep ingrained love of meat and therefore I tend to be a bit of a snob when it comes to the cuts I eat, which in turns means I try to eat the best raised animals. I doubt that many vegetarians really care that much about animals and only really care that they're aren't slaughtered for only a fraction of their available meat to be used as food. I'm not keen on this but I see it how it is, i've seen inside abattoirs (my cousin is a vet in quite a rural area so works with farmers and slaughterhouses) and yet I don't feel that its wrong, its part of nature in my view. I understand that some people are sickened to the bone by the thought of eating meat and thats fair enough to them but they do miss out on bacon

Hellfire wrote: »
    All I say is, bring on the meat, I don't mind veggies or vegans except when they take the all mighty I am better than you condescending high road and talk to me like Im crap for liking meet.

everyone is different and when they try to force their ideals on you is wrong, hence why I'm always tempted to steak slap a veggie who tells me that I'm wrong for eating meat because I enjoy it.
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    I doubt that many vegetarians really care that much about animals
    Sorry, but WHAT?! I know a hell of a lot of veggies, vegans, fruitarians... and not one of them doesn't care about animals. Where did you get this idea from that we don't care about them?!
  • Options
    I think a lot probably do care about animal welfare, but I think it is wrong to assume that ALL vegetarians give a damn. Some people are veggy just out of habit. And I know this is probably a shit argument but a few of the vegetarians I know eat eggs... and they don't care about whether they are free-range or not. Whereas I think eating eggs from battery hens is a lot worse than eating beef.....
  • Options
    I feel the same, which is why I'm vegan. Most the veggies I know do only eat free range/organic, but I guess some people don't even think about it which is no excuse.
  • Options
    Sorry, but WHAT?! I know a hell of a lot of veggies, vegans, fruitarians... and not one of them doesn't care about animals. Where did you get this idea from that we don't care about them?!

seeing how I've written that I would like to correct what I said, as a meat eater I take a huge interest in how the meat I'm eating was raised, slaughtered etc, its a side that i feel that people that chose not to eat don't really take as much interest as I personally do
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    seeing how i've written that i would like to correct what i said, as a meat eater i take a huge interest in how the meat i'm eating was raised, slaughtered etc, its a side that i feel that some people that chose not to eat don't really take as much interest as i personally do

ftfy
  • Options
    Is cheese allowed when you are vegetarian?
  • Options
    Meadow wrote: »
    I eat all foods in my daily diet to get all nutrition, vitamins, fiber, and mineral.
    Actually I am non vegetarian but I like more vegetarian foods.
    I eat non vegetarian to get some more nutrition otherwise I focus on veggies foods.

This threads old, best to look at dates. It was started 2 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.