Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

NHS waiting times

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just watching a programme on beeb... the presenter walked through the theatre place in a hospital and only two theatres were being used out of 8... shocking.

It just made me think about the experience I had waiting for an operation in 2002.

I had a cyst on my ovary, and had to have open surgery to remove it. I was waiting 4 months for my operation... in a hell of a lot of pain... When they got in there the weight of the cyst had caused the fallopian tube to twist and cut the ovary's blood supply off. I've always wondered if that could have been prevented and I'd still have two ovaries if I hadn't had to wait for so long.

I did have key-hole surgery in 2005, and only had to wait for 1 month for that, which I considered a big improvement.

But I know 4 months is a lot less than some people have to wait too...

Was just wondering if anyone else has had to have surgery on NHS, how long they had to wait and how they felt about that?

Comments

• Options
    I had urgent surgery to drain an abscess about 10 hours after they decided I needed it.

The follow up to that was a 3 month wait, although in fairness I had to wait the first month for the wound to heal.

The fix to that one was 36 hours after I got seen in A&E and they decided it had healed wrong and needed fixing urgently.

The operation I had on my sinuses I waited 3 weeks from the time they actually decided I needed it (although that took them nearly 3 months), but I got a cancellation space as I went on the short notice list.
  • Options
    they wanted me to wait 18 months to 2 years for my wisdom tooth operation (with multiple related infections and constant pain). In the end I waited 5 months before reaching the end of my tether and paying for the damn surgery myself. At that point I still hadn't had the initial appointment with the consultant to assess how urgent my case was. Brilliant.

:grump:
  • Options
    My dad was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour, and luckily he was operated on straight away. However, after this he was in need of radiotherapy and chemotherapy.

He was told he'd have to wait no longer than two weeks for treatment to begin. 6 weeks later and he still hadn't started the course. When they finally got round to commencing with it, his tumour had grown again back to the original size, and they therefore had to operate again instead as it was way too big.

Due to this second operation, he died in theatre. I'll always be wondering if they'd started the chemo and radiotherapy sooner, would he still be here?
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear that jordy *hugs*
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:

Thanks for that.

It just frustrates me when you see loads of money going to waste when it could be being used to save people's lives. :(
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:

Yes, me too. *hugs*
  • Options
    I think its popular to complain about waiting times without congratulating when the NHS does it right.

For me, well, I was assigned to a psychotherapist for intensive therapy within about two months of being seen by the consultant. I was bumped up just about every waiting list going by the consultant, and its something I'm eternally grateful for.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    Just watching a programme on beeb... the presenter walked through the theatre place in a hospital and only two theatres were being used out of 8... shocking.

Perhaps all of the surgeons were busy operating in the other two theatres? Or perhaps they were doing ruonds seeing patients they had already operated on? Or maybe having consultations with patients who were booked in?