Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i fel so triggered and annoyed! Abuse from another forum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
was just on my other mental health forum and was posting about how i felt today..... i just said, well- it's amazing.. summer's coming, the worst time of the year for me- and i feel hopeless, trapped, not knowing what i want to do with my life etc etc... and then someone has the nerve to reply to me and say, ah well, you're probably useless anyway, just get off your ass and go kill yourself.

i've a good mind to go back on that site and post a message saying that i'm deleting my acount- because i'm not having that.. i was asking for help and this is what i get.

wow!

and you wonder why these people are members of such forums

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    lady emily wrote: »
    was just on my other mental health forum and was posting about how i felt today..... i just said, well- it's amazing.. summer's coming, the worst time of the year for me- and i feel hopeless, trapped, not knowing what i want to do with my life etc etc... and then someone has the nerve to reply to me and say, ah well, you're probably useless anyway, just get off your ass and go kill yourself.

i've a good mind to go back on that site and post a message saying that i'm deleting my acount- because i'm not having that.. i was asking for help and this is what i get.

wow!

and you wonder why these people are members of such forums

PM the moderator of the Forum. And instead of saying you are deleting your account to everyone on the forum, just leave.
  • Options
    That really sucks Emily :( I have found a lot of people turn into nasty people online, I don't know why, but some people who are very nice in person can be really harsh online. So you have to roll with it that although the internet is really good for some things (unlimited information everywhere, easy to connect to people quickly wherever they are) - it also has its downsides and people not pulling punches and saying really nasty things is one of those downsides.

I would say though that generally most forum administrators will want to 'keep their house in order' - and for forums relating to mental health a large portion of that is ensuring that members of the community feel comfortable and safe to post about the difficult issues they might want to share. So I would certainly raise the issue with a moderator in the first instance.

In the second part of your post you say about leaving the website in question - maybe as a different suggestion, just take some time out? You don't need to announce it - although I can understand why you would want to, to get a sense of vindication for your feelings now - but the internet being the internet, you may just be opening another can of worms or another opportunity for people to take snips at you.

So maybe take a week out from that forum, post here still and so on, and see how you feel afterwards? See if you feel a bit more comfortable about posting on that site then? Plenty of times I've been infuriated with this website here and I've taken plenty of 'chill pills', and it really helps :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    That really sucks Emily :( I have found a lot of people turn into nasty people online, I don't know why, but some people who are very nice in person can be really harsh online. So you have to roll with it that although the internet is really good for some things (unlimited information everywhere, easy to connect to people quickly wherever they are) - it also has its downsides and people not pulling punches and saying really nasty things is one of those downsides.

I would say though that generally most forum administrators will want to 'keep their house in order' - and for forums relating to mental health a large portion of that is ensuring that members of the community feel comfortable and safe to post about the difficult issues they might want to share. So I would certainly raise the issue with a moderator in the first instance.

In the second part of your post you say about leaving the website in question - maybe as a different suggestion, just take some time out? You don't need to announce it - although I can understand why you would want to, to get a sense of vindication for your feelings now - but the internet being the internet, you may just be opening another can of worms or another opportunity for people to take snips at you.

So maybe take a week out from that forum, post here still and so on, and see how you feel afterwards? See if you feel a bit more comfortable about posting on that site then? Plenty of times I've been infuriated with this website here and I've taken plenty of 'chill pills', and it really helps :)

i get infuriated a lot, not just because of my mental illness, but also before that.. i was kind of open and forward about things- so it makes it 10 times worse!

i don't care about rude people on the internet, but when you've got someone who's posted a lot on a mental health forum telling members to go kill themselves, that just takes it over the edge wouldn't you say?

it's the first time i've had problems with that site

i mean that's like being on a site for downton abby, and then someone comes along who's been a member for years and says... well... downton abby is no good, i hate this, this, this... it should be taken off tv. but then i guess i can cope with that- because i'm not asking for help, i', expressing an opinion and we all have those

but when you ask for help and get told to kill yourself... yeah i'll shut up now

i like this site, i think i was driven away once.. but i can't remember who by. someone in the entertainment section who thought they were all big and smart- i remember because i posted a message the same day asking how to ignore people

i never did ignore this person though
  • Options
    Hi Emily
    So sorry to hear about what that person posted - there's no excuse for saying such nasty things.

ShyBoy has already said most of what I wanted to say about contacting mods etc, but I did want to add one more thing. A forum is made up of lots of users and just because one person has stepped (way) out of line, it doesn't mean that others there don't care about you or won't offer support. Try not to let one bad reply tarnish the whole forum - if you've previously found it a helpful place to go then chances are you will again, and that person will probably soon get shoved out if they continue posting like that.

Big hugs, and I hope you're feeling a bit better about things now *hug*