Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

No period... (sorry!)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have done a search I swear! But I couldn't find what I was looking for.

OK on pill have been several years same one.

Skipped a period deliberately in december (something i've done before with no consequences) and was due one late january... nothing happened so i took two pregnancy tests one a day after my period was due a 2nd about a week after it was due since its almost never been late thanks to the pill. I had taken all my pills that month but I hadn't been as strict no the time limit as i normally am, I was pretty sure I had still been "strict" enoguh for them to work but i took the tests anyway to reassure myself and boyfriend. That and I'd had a slight boob growth as well whihc scared me a little but like I said I wasn't worried the tests turned out negative.

Put it out of my mind afterall 2 pregnacy tests couldnt be wrong right? I had exams in january and assumed it was stress.

Now its been a month my period should've started today, okay its only a day late but I'm scared shitless. Please reassure me how unlikely it is that I'm pregnant?

I'm going to doctors soon, shall ring them in the morning (its 1am here) for an appiotment on saturday. Just in case ti turns up on friday. Even if its unlikely that I'm pregnant I suppose I should find out whats up.

So if its not pregnancy what could it be? I've googled it lots but so far I've come up with: weightloss (nope!) stress (maybe but i've been worse and not lost it before) and thyroid problems (when i googled thyroid problems it had other symptons none of which i had)

I'm 18 in case you wondering. I wouldn't be surprised if my scared typings made me seem much younger. :(

Comments

• Options
    I would try another pregnancy test to put your mind at rest. There are reasons why you have not got your period, stress could well be one of them. Do the test and whatever the result, if you dont get your period by next week go and see your gp.
  • Options
    It may be that when you took two packets together (which is what I am presuming you did in December) it mucked your body up.

Linking packs is one of those things that can work like a dream or be an absolute nightmare - i've only ever done it twice... the first I had no problem and as during the second time I was extremely stressed (due to losing my dad) it messed with my body big time! So much so that I would definately think twice about ever doing it again.

It may be that as you were under exam stress at the beginning of the year, this tied into you linking packs could be a reason for the delay!

Good luck whatever you find out...
  • Options
    When you say that you hadn't been as strict as usual on time... how much later than usual were you in taking your pills?
  • Options
    hours off.... 3 at most. I'm normally quite OCDish about it.
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    It may be that when you took two packets together (which is what I am presuming you did in December) it mucked your body up.

I'm not ruling it out but at the same time I've done it loads with no problems. It can make the next period lighter though so maybe thats what its done this time and stress made it go away entirely. I'm calling the doctors today to try and get an appiopement for tomororw.
    Today would be daft it could still turn up only a day late... but its not open all weekend and i can't go on monday and i really really don't want ot wait till tuesday understandably.
  • Options
    hours off.... 3 at most. I'm normally quite OCDish about it.

I know what you mean, even on weekends I set my alarm so I take my pill at the normal time and go back to sleep. Unless you're on a pill that you specifically have to take within an hour, I wouldn't have thought that 3 hours would make any difference. They do say that you have a 12 hour window to take your pill.

I've just looked at the fpa's advice- they say that you have up to 24 hours to take your pill. Depending on your type of pill and where you are on your cylce you can miss a pill completely and get away with it. I freaked out last year when I forgot a pill (I was on microgynon) and when I went to get the morning after pill, the pharmacist said I could miss 3 pills and still be fine. It might be worth phoning up the fpa for some advice- they're really helpful.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    I know what you mean, even on weekends I set my alarm so I take my pill at the normal time and go back to sleep. Unless you're on a pill that you specifically have to take within an hour, I wouldn't have thought that 3 hours would make any difference. They do say that you have a 12 hour window to take your pill.

Well I used to take it around 6pm but I've stopped being such a sadact nad started to go out a little and it was embarassing to have to nip to the loo whenever my phone went off it was kind of obvious. So I started taking it at 8AM (this is last summer so irrelevant to current problem) which worked fine till my college timetable changed and i didnt have to wake up till 10am on some days lol.

I tried doctors and they said I couldn't book an appiopemtn for tomororw but i could call in at 8 and almost certainly get an appiotment tomorrow. Good I suppose. I don't know hwether to buy a test today or not. It would seem liek a waste of money but I'm so scared it may help put my mind at rest.
  • Options
    Have you had a word with the young man concerned? I don't know if it would be any comfort to you but it took the two of you to get into this situation and you shouldn't face it by yourself. I've had a couple of scares and not told my boyfriend. He was really upset when he found out that I hadn't told him. Anyway- *hugs*, i think you need it!
  • Options
    Hes aware of the situation but on holiday at the moment, he's phoneable but not home till late saturday.
    most of this has been mostly me reassuring him =P
  • Options
    Oh sweetheart. I'm sorry. Men can be a bit useless with stuff like this. I personally think it's highly unlikely that you're pregnant though. I know it's easier said than done, but try to relax a bit.
  • Options
    Are you taking any other medication?

A friend of mine was on the pill and started taking medication because she has epilepsy. The two drugs clashed and she ended up pregnant.
  • Options
    it could just be stress, or ur diet makin u late. there were times when i was 3 weeks pregnant. if u keep gettin negative tests and are still worried, go to the drs. they may be able to do some more tests?
  • Options
    it's only a day late

i wouldnt panic :)
  • Options
    Hi November Rain,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having some period problems. Don’t worry too much about it for now, as it’s only 1 day late. It is common in people to have their period late for 1 or 2 days, sometimes your menstrual cycle does vary a little bit due to various reasons. Don’t panic if you miss a period again. Even if you are pregnant there are options, and if you are not it may be nothing to worry about. If you don’t have a period for two months then it is suggested to go to see a doctor. Here is a article on ‘Missed periods’, you can read more information from it.

Don’t panic, hope it’s getting better=)