Home Travel & Free Time
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

The Passage (November book club)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sooooo... what did you think?

I loved it. I was hooked from the off because of the character of Amy. I found myself rooting for her from the moment her mum left her at the convent.

I also found I could almost believe this happening; the way the whole disaster is set up rings true in a number of ways.

I won't say too much for now, your turn...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought it was wicked awesome, but was constantly wondering what had happened to the rest of the world.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I thought it was wicked awesome, but was constantly wondering what had happened to the rest of the world.

That would be a whole other series... I'd not put any money on Canada / South America surviving, tho...
    Only about half way through but I love love love it. I really want to know what became of Amy because I loved her.
    Oh damn, better wait for you to finish before I say wanted to say next!

I remember reading a review when it was published that was very scathing about the fact the infected are never called 'vampires', but rather, 'jumps', 'dracs', etc. I actually thought this was a very realistic detail. Reminded me of World War Z; faced with the worst thing you can imagine, humans seek to belittle it. After all, who would admit that what they were facing was a vampire apocalypse. Especially if they don't fit the myth after all - picture a jump in a cloak? I didn't think so.
    Don't hold back on my behalf. I'm not over bothered about spoilers :).

Agree about the slang. Especially in the compound, where they're not going to know what a vampire is. And they're not really vampires anyway since, from my understanding, they aren't dead and never were.

I have to say - to begin with it was slow going with this one, but it's getting more and more interesting as it goes on. Glad I stuck with it. Mavis and I will be having many more baths to get this read.
    Is mavis a nickname for your beaver?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Is mavis a nickname for your beaver?

Unfortunately not. Mavis is my Kindle.
    Do you think sheltering the children in the sanctuary the way they do is appropriate?
  • plugitinplugitin Noob Posts: 2,197 The Mix Regular
    Just started reading this, when is the chat for it going to be?
    19th. Keep reading!
    I'm getting hooked on it, so I should be a fair whack through it by then (although I do keep forgetting all the peoples' names!)
    plugitin wrote: »
    I'm getting hooked on it, so I should be a fair whack through it by then (although I do keep forgetting all the peoples' names!)

Yeah, it's not easy! I think there might be a dramatis personae in the back (there is in The Twelve) but it might not be spoiler-free.
    Chat here tomorrow at 7.
    Unfortunately not going to make it, will be on a train back from Carlisle!

Absolutely loving this book, people will have a job prising it away from me!