Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Passage (November book club)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Sooooo... what did you think?

I loved it. I was hooked from the off because of the character of Amy. I found myself rooting for her from the moment her mum left her at the convent.

I also found I could almost believe this happening; the way the whole disaster is set up rings true in a number of ways.

I won't say too much for now, your turn...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought it was wicked awesome, but was constantly wondering what had happened to the rest of the world.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I thought it was wicked awesome, but was constantly wondering what had happened to the rest of the world.

That would be a whole other series... I'd not put any money on Canada / South America surviving, tho...
    Only about half way through but I love love love it. I really want to know what became of Amy because I loved her.
    Oh damn, better wait for you to finish before I say wanted to say next!

I remember reading a review when it was published that was very scathing about the fact the infected are never called 'vampires', but rather, 'jumps', 'dracs', etc. I actually thought this was a very realistic detail. Reminded me of World War Z; faced with the worst thing you can imagine, humans seek to belittle it. After all, who would admit that what they were facing was a vampire apocalypse. Especially if they don't fit the myth after all - picture a jump in a cloak? I didn't think so.
    Don't hold back on my behalf. I'm not over bothered about spoilers :).

Agree about the slang. Especially in the compound, where they're not going to know what a vampire is. And they're not really vampires anyway since, from my understanding, they aren't dead and never were.

I have to say - to begin with it was slow going with this one, but it's getting more and more interesting as it goes on. Glad I stuck with it. Mavis and I will be having many more baths to get this read.
    Is mavis a nickname for your beaver?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Is mavis a nickname for your beaver?

Unfortunately not. Mavis is my Kindle.
    Do you think sheltering the children in the sanctuary the way they do is appropriate?
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Just started reading this, when is the chat for it going to be?
    19th. Keep reading!
    I'm getting hooked on it, so I should be a fair whack through it by then (although I do keep forgetting all the peoples' names!)
    plugitin wrote: »
    I'm getting hooked on it, so I should be a fair whack through it by then (although I do keep forgetting all the peoples' names!)

Yeah, it's not easy! I think there might be a dramatis personae in the back (there is in The Twelve) but it might not be spoiler-free.
    Chat here tomorrow at 7.
    Unfortunately not going to make it, will be on a train back from Carlisle!

Absolutely loving this book, people will have a job prising it away from me!