Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

when is right to say the "L" word

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...Love that is.

Not asking for personal advice as per say but when is the right time to tell someone that you love them?

I find I often say it too soon in relationships, like within the first month or so, and it tends to push some people away (obviously not right for me but anyway)...Is there a right time to tell someone you love them?

Comments

• Options
    I think that if you're not sure whether the other person is going to say it back to you or if they feel the same then it's too soon. there's no right and wrong time. my boyfriend said it after a month which might freak some people out but I felt exactly the same and 14 months later still do.
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    When you truly feel it and not expect someone to say it back because they might need more time/undecided or whatever.
  • Options
    Typically when you are drunk, and to random strangers who have just done something nice, like lent you a nail file. I may be doing it wrong, though.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    typically when you are drunk, and to random strangers who have just done something nice, like lent you a nail file. I may be doing it wrong, though.

:d
  • Options
    Ok questions along the same lines -

when is a good time in a relationship to move in together?

Is there ever a balance between head and heart?
  • Options
    When you truly feel it and not expect someone to say it back because they might need more time/undecided or whatever.

:yes:

In my fairly limited experience normally one person says it before the other person is 100% 'there' so there will never be a perfect time.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Ok questions along the same lines -

when is a good time in a relationship to move in together?
    minimum 6 months together, ideally 12 months together.
    Is there ever a balance between head and heart?

There's always 'a' balance, but that doesn't mean it's the right balance. I think when the head and the heart are in agreement then you know you're onto something good. I would worry less about getting the 'perfect balance' and focus more on keeping your heart open to new experiences, whilst being mindful to protect yourself from a) being hurt and b) being taken for a ride. :)
  • Options
    well you should say when you want to say it. don't always try to rely on what other person might think, but you should tell it when you feel that you are comfortable.