Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How long have you been single?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just out of curiosity, I'm one of the only people I know around my age that's been single for quite some time, everyone else is in fairly steady relationships or never single long. I feel like a bit of an oddball so would like to see what the situation is like on here.
Oh and I'm 21 and been single just under 3 years.

Comments

• Options
    I'm 19 and I've been single for.... 6 months and some change.
  • Options
    2 weeks after being taken for a little more than 3 years. It feels so great :)
  • Options
    I feel the same. Im 21 in March and been single a year and a half. Not long to some people but its the longest I've been single since i started having boyfriends. There's been a one night stand and fuck buddy along the way but its not the same.

I feel like i'm never going to feel strongly for another person ever again. Part of me loves being single because quite frankly i'm fed up of relationship bullcrap, stress, and heartache that inevitably happens but part of me also wants a relationship, im just scared incase i put all my emotions and effort into it and get hurt again.

Like i said i dont see me falling for anyone like i did my exes but you never know
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I feel the same. Im 21 in March and been single a year and a half. Not long to some people but its the longest I've been single since i started having boyfriends. There's been a one night stand and fuck buddy along the way but its not the same.

I feel like i'm never going to feel strongly for another person ever again. Part of me loves being single because quite frankly i'm fed up of relationship bullcrap, stress, and heartache that inevitably happens but part of me also wants a relationship, im just scared incase i put all my emotions and effort into it and get hurt again.

Like i said i dont see me falling for anyone like i did my exes but you never know

Yeah same I've had a couple of flings along the way and have been lied to to get me into bed but that's it. And I'm same about feeling like I won't fall for anyone that much again, especially after pushing 3 years and being single all the way through uni. And I worry when guys find out I've been single so long they're going to think theres something wrong with me
  • Options
    24 years 11 months.

What do i win? :p
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    And I worry when guys find out I've been single so long they're going to think theres something wrong with me

:yes: :(
  • Options
    Also, what annoys me is when guys I know with girlfriends suddenly turn round and say I'd be the perfect gf and if they had their chance again they'd ask me out. Because either a) they're just trying to make me feel better or b) if they're telling the truth then that makes me feel bad for their gf
  • Options
    i think there is alot to be said for being single for a period of time, it gives you a chance to really know yourself and be independent. How men think about how long a woman has been single depends on how you project it i guess, if you present it as "poor me ive been single for forever, whine whine" like some women do, then i think they will find it a bit off putting or desperate. If you present it as "i've been single for awhile and i'm casual about it, it will happen when the time is right" then you come across as laid back, easy going , no pressure kinda gal - if that makes sense.

people make choices to stay single for periods of time for a variety of reasons and these are as varied as the individuals so noone should judge. The longest i was single was between 16-20, then i was single for around a year the next time. my current boyfriend had never had a relationship before he met me and we were both 27, not because there was anything wrong with him, but coz he said he wasn't into doing the longterm thing til he met someone he felt was special. I don't know where i came into that though lol.
  • Options
    I was single for about 3 years after my first serious relationship ended. I met my boyfriend 6 months ago on a night out with old school friends. I wasn't really looking for a relationship or anything. I didn't know him from back then, but we've shared a lot of the same friends for about 10 years. I did have a few casual relationships in my single time, but had pretty much decided not to get into anything unless it felt right. I agree with Summer-Raindrops that being single for a while isn't always a bad thing and it can give you time to find some independence and work out what you want from a relationship. I've made some good friends through single life. My ex was fairly possessive, so I now feel like I have the best of both worlds, loving boyfriend and good mates I can spend time with when he's off doing his own thing :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    4 months
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My last "relationship" ended 2 years ago, come April, but it was just two weeks. Didn't feel much about the girl, but I said I'd give it a go and see if anything develops. It didn't. So if you don't count this as a real relationship like I do, then it's, hmmm, 10 years, come September. I know I moan too much about it, but mostly I don't mind much. Be happy with what you have and all that.

Moreover am I bit complicated, a bit afraid of bonding with someone as I feel it restricts me in my liberties and I attract (and am attracted) to really complicated girls, who I let walk over me in the past and see me as their own personal toy, i.e. something without emotions that just pleases on demand, without protest. So this really goes two ways, for all the, "all men are assholes"-girls out there.

Would say I've been just a bit unlucky, but heyho, there is more to life.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    25 years. If you only count the ones when I actually cared about it, then 11-12.
  • Options
    i think there is alot to be said for being single for a period of time, it gives you a chance to really know yourself and be independent. How men think about how long a woman has been single depends on how you project it i guess, if you present it as "poor me ive been single for forever, whine whine" like some women do, then i think they will find it a bit off putting or desperate. If you present it as "i've been single for awhile and i'm casual about it, it will happen when the time is right" then you come across as laid back, easy going , no pressure kinda gal - if that makes sense.

people make choices to stay single for periods of time for a variety of reasons and these are as varied as the individuals so noone should judge. The longest i was single was between 16-20, then i was single for around a year the next time. my current boyfriend had never had a relationship before he met me and we were both 27, not because there was anything wrong with him, but coz he said he wasn't into doing the longterm thing til he met someone he felt was special. I don't know where i came into that though lol.

This is true, I've grown up and matured so much while I've been single and I've accomplished so much on my own. It's also allowed me to do stuff like spend several weeks abroad without any worries. Sometimes I get a bit woe is me about it, but I know you can't force relationships to happen. One will come along eventually...just taking so fricking long!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    This is true, I've grown up and matured so much while I've been single and I've accomplished so much on my own. It's also allowed me to do stuff like spend several weeks abroad without any worries. Sometimes I get a bit woe is me about it, but I know you can't force relationships to happen. One will come along eventually...just taking so fricking long!

it does feel like that but i was 27 before i met my mr perfect...i had to kiss a few frogs to get there which to be honest were really damaging to myself and with hindsight i wish i had just been single for the time i waited!
  • Options
    Not since I was 17. About 23 years now.

Sometimes I wish I was...